1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unique dilemma...

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by pscook, Nov 9, 2016.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have two XR100s and am picking up an XR80 for my daughter. All of the bikes need chains and sprockets in some fashion (the 80 has no actual chain, for starters...). Here's my dilemma - Do I get three sets of 80's chain and sprockets, or do I get three sets of 100's chain and sprockets? I'm (over)thinking that why not have some commonality between the machines, just because? Plus it's easier to click the button three times when ordering, and 80 chain/sprockets are cheaper (by like $5 a set).

I use the 100's for flat track, and the 80 will be for my daughter to learn to ride. (I'm serious, I won't take the 80 out unless I really have to. Really.) Will I lose strength/life by having the 80 set up on the 100's? Will the smaller chain withstand the flat track abuse? Will the 100 chain/sprocket combo slow down or otherwise impede the 80?

I know, just get two 100 combos and one 80 combo, but I like to completely overthink what I'm doing, and thereby reach paralysis by analysis and do nothing.

Whatchu think?

2. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I run the 80 setup on my 100, with no issues, on the kart track.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

420 setup works fine on upto 120ccs.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Should I get the same ratio for both engine sizes? I'm not really worried about performance on the 80, but I am with the 100. :)

And what's the conversion factor between the 100 and the 80 sizing? Or is the tooth count the same between the two models? I'm easily confused, as you can tell. And easily influenced as well.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think my 1 bike has 14/46. Maybe get a couple 14 and 15 counter front & 47 48 and 49 rear since youre buying 3 sets.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Okay, I just read up on the differences. XR80 is 420 at 14/46, which is smaller diameter and narrow rollers. XR100 is 428 at 14/50, wider and bigger diameter rollers. Link distance is the same, so the ratios are the same. I assume that the XR100 transmission ratio or the primary ratio is different, therefore final sprocket ratio is different.

I'm not going to get different sprocket sizes, I'll just get the stock 100 ratio for all three bikes. It will make the 80 a bit faster on top end, but it will tame the initial throttle response for my daughter. I think.

7. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I would order whatever gearing comes stock on both bikes and call it a day. Also, you should get a whole 420 chain and break it down for the 100. I remember something about having to only take one link out of the chain I ordered, but I can't remember how many links it was total.

Looked it up...I was either running 15 or 16/46 gearing and purchased a 120 link 420 chain for the 100.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I finally had the epiphany that saved me headaches and money. The 80 has a shorter swingarm than the 100, so I can't buy three sets of any one thing. I know, I could have bought three sets of 80 sprockets, then 15' of 420 chain, but it was cheaper to buy kits instead of single items. So, I got a stock 80 kit, then I'll figure out the 100's when I have some brain cells available.

9. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

A lot of times the kits have a chain that needs to be cut to length anyway.

10. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

XR100s 428 118 links
    Xr80 420 110 links.