1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UFC 241

Discussion in 'General' started by bleacht, Aug 17, 2019.

1. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Who's watching the fights tonight? Out of the top 3 fights on the main card, I've got Romero, Pettis, and Miocic.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I’m surprised at how little Cormier and Stipe weighed for this fight.

3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Stockton!!! 209 MF

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Diaz gon whoop that A$$ boy.

track wagon likes this.
  5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I'm not doing so well. At this rate, DC has this in the bag.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

We didn’t give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm the Drake of fight picks these days. If I pick a guy, he's going down. 0-3 for the big ones on this card, but who cares?

The fans won. If the masses understood the amount of mental toughness displayed on Saturday night, MMA would be bigger than football.

I was impressed with Costa's scramble. Most people don't understand what it's like to have a world class grappler get a hold of you. It's terrifying. I was a little surprised with the unanimous decision though. Hard to believe not even one judge saw it for Romero.

After Diaz broke Pettis' foot it was pretty much over. Good luck in a dirty boxing match with Nate. I hate to think about what's left of Diaz' brain after 20 years of using his face to block punches. Granite chin, but enough already.

I'm a big DC fan, but also super happy for Stipe. What a monster. That guy seems to lose more rounds than he wins but somehow gets it done. Unbelievable heart.

8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

1) has Diaz always sounded like that or is he legitimately getting so beat up he’s scrambled his brains?

2) agree on Stipe. I didn’t think he would comeback that late. He was pretty smoked the first three rounds

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Logic tells me he's never frequented the library, or even Sesame Street for that matter.

Maybe he has Homer Simpson syndrome?

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'd wager he'd likely give 99.99% of the folks who point out his educational & vocal shortfalls a 1st class education in the ring.

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about Stipe than Diaz as far as concussions and brain damage.

JBraun likes this.
  12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. I don't think he's the sharpest crayon on the tree, but his defensive "strategy" probably isn't doing him any favors.

Crazy that the guy trains daily with Kron, who is arguably the best submission artist on the planet, but he'd still rather stand and trade than bring the fight to the ground. Entertaining though to say the least.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    track wagon likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think you need to add some more 9's after that decimal...

14. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I wasn’t making fun, just asking if he’s always had a speech issue or is it something that has happened from fighting.

15. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Lots of weed.

XFBO likes this.
  16. jaybirdka

jaybirdka Well-Known Member

Yes, he's always had a lisp and can be difficult to understand at times.

XFBO likes this.
  17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Side question..........are Costa and Romero just genetic freaks or are they juicing like crazy? Both of them look more bodybuilder than fighter.

Also interesting is the drastically different weight cut they did compared to the rest of the main card.....

Stipe Miocic: 233lbs from 230.5 on Friday – An increase of 1.3%

Daniel Cormier: 247 from 236.5 – 4.4%

Nate Diaz: 180 from 170 – 5.9%

Anthony Pettis: 177.2 from 169.5 – 4.5%

Paulo Costa: 213.8 from 186 – 14.9%

Yoel Romero: 207.2 from 184.5 – 12.3%

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

We were joking about that in the locker room yesterday. I think USADA sat this one out.

Romero was part of the Cuban wrestling program at a young age. In all likelihood he was a borderline genetic experiment. It's not unfair to suggest he's on something because he looks like a Ninja Turtle, but also because he's been popped. He was exonerated and won a lawsuit against a defunct "supplement" company after finding that a supplement he took was tainted.

That's where it gets messy. So a top tier professional athlete was popping some random "supplements" mixed up in a New Jersey warehouse by an obscure company which also made steroids? Okaaaaay. Add in his propensity for bending the rules (watch the Tim Kennedy fight), and it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I have no reason to suspect Costa except, well, look at him. Maybe he works super hard and eats a lot of horse meat. Maybe his Acai is laced with D-Bol. Who knows? He hasn't been caught yet so it's up in the air.

USADA is pretty tough, but you get away with a lot more if you live outside the US as Costa does. Plus there's no way to tell if a guy did five years worth of cycles before he signed with the UFC. It's not like the gains disappear.

The most interesting part about those numbers is that DC put on 10 lbs. Why? He didn't need to cut any weight. You have to wonder if he was sick before the fight. Wouldn't be the first time a guy fought with the flu or food poisoning and never said a word.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Romero looked a lot less roided than his previous fights.

I'd put the DC weight gain to a hard camp and then relaxing after the weigh-ins.

20. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Will someone please set up Diaz in some kind of prostitution or coke sting or something? Can't stand that dude.

Costa/Romero fight was crazy. If either of those guys are clean, it's gotta be an insane workout regimen.
    DC controlled the whole fight then, well......heavyweights. After what I counted was 7 left hooks to the body, your gonna get caught.
    I have to say Stipe seems like the most realest everyday type of person I've ever seen in MMA. But he'll straight up whoop your ass though.