1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TZ750 classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by hockyis1, May 9, 2017.

1. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

Hi All -

I've been doing trackdays for years now on modern 600's and just picked up a well sorted '80 TZ750 that I'd like to start racing in any vintage class that'll have it (AHRMA, WERA, CVMA, etc.). Reading through the Wera rulebook makes my head hurt looking at all the classes.

Does anyone know off hand which classes a TZ750 would run in? It'd be nice if I could run it in more than just 1 class. But I'll take what I can get!

Thanks,
    Jerall

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You bring out a TZ750 and I'll support your running it in ANY class. I'd support it being in GP500 simply to watch and hear it go by me 3 times in an 8 lap race.

Cheers,

Dave

SpeedyE, stk0308, VFR#52 and 3 others like this.
  3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

If you want to try to fit into an ostensible class for that particular machine, V6 heavyweight, Formula 2 stroke, and V7 (bump up class). Formula 2 stroke does not list displacement limit - only machines as examples by type and size. However, I don't think the class, by rule (perhaps by practice due top the lack of available machines) is displacement limited.

Cheers,

Dave

4. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Mark ? Use to bring one out every blue moon... cool bike , but a beast to ride

rdtbull likes this.
  5. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

According to the rule book it is legal for V5, V6 Heavyweight in vintage which also makes it legal for B Superbike/Superstock in modern as well as Formula 1.

6. hinshaw929

Displacement in Formula 2 Stroke would not be a problem since my H2 is a 750 same as the TZ. Since it is not listed WERA would have to OK it. I would have no objection.

CORRECTION: under the bump section of the rules it shows "V5 2-stroke to Formula 2-stroke". Since the TZ750 is legal in V5 it can bump up to Formula 2 Stroke. Since it is also legal for V6HW it can also bump up to V7HW.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the H2 fits I don't see why the TZ wouldn't, I'd be fine with it as long as the age portion is correct.

8. hinshaw929

In summary:

Vintage - V5, Formula 2 Stroke, V6HW, V7HW
    Modern - B Superbike/Superstock, Formula 1

9. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Oh boy....

For starters, I will go on record that I welcome it in any of the classes listed above. I do want to point out that "if the H2 is legal, then the TZ should be too". is a seriously flawed logic though. H2 is an aircooled 750 cc streetbike that was very fast and very ill handling. As Mr Hinshaw has shown, with a LOT of effort, time and $$$$$, it can be made into a formidable roadrace platform, but there are very few H2's in the country (let alone the WORLD!) that are as well sorted s his. The TZ is a GP bike (purpose built race bike) and stock for stock, will DESTROY an h2 or any other bike legal in V5, F-2stroke and probably V6hw. (in stock trim)

HOWEVER.....

Attendance in all 3 classes has been pretty sucky lately and as long as Jerall promises to run castor based oil so he contributes to making the place smell better, I don't have a problem with it. There's actually historical precedent for the v6hw, as AMA ran tz's vs 1100 diesels in the 80's, but the tz's were restricted to stock carbs. Used to be some pretty good racing! Should be a good fit in V5 too, except no one ever shows up with a real V5 bike anymore, so everyone thinks V5 is an ex500/rz350/fj600 class, which it's not. A built cb1100 or fj1100 might be able to put up a pretty good fight against the tz, but the usual suspects that have been running V5 recently wont have a chance. (present company included...)

BTW- It's also legal for Formula Vintage and Open 2 stroke in AHRMA. He can beat up on me there too.... ;)

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. hockyis1

Thanks everyone for the info on the classes. So as long as I show up, look good, and smell good, I should be ok to run at least a few different classes!

The TZ is a Nico Bakker framed modified racer with a modern (standard) front end, and 17" wheels. The seller just freshened up the (modified) motor and it makes stupid power. Aftermarket cylinders, Lectrons, etc. Even with all that I'll be slow, ha! I pick it up in a few weeks and will update again once I can take a better look at it.

Cheers,
    Jerall

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    VFR#52 likes this.
  11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Three cylinder Kawasakis and TZ750's raced against each other in the old Formula 750 class in the US and Europe in the 1970's, so they do belong together.

12. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Only thing you can't do in vintage class 1 Thur 5 is have after martet frames... this would make you not legal for v5 class, but ok for v6 L and others

13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I would feel much better narrowing the classes down if you posted some pictures or videos of the bike :D

SpeedyE and VFR#52 like this.
  14. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Jerall, call me I can answer your questions and have info on th Nikko Baker. 570 500-2684

joec and VFR#52 like this.
  15. hockyis1

So the bike has been sitting in the garage for the last few weeks because I haven't had time to go through it. I've decided to replace the Nico Bakker frame and will be buying a CMR chassis so I took this weekend to tear the bike down. Only thing that will carry over to the new bike is the engine, electronics, throttle, and possibly the radiator. Everything else will get replaced. CMR will provide the frame, shock, rear caliper, new aluminum handmade tank, rearsets, and expansion chambers. I've bought a 2003 R6 conventional fork that will get revalved for it. In the meantime, here are the tear down pics.

Attached Files:

Harry V. III, cha0s#242 and rdtbull like this.
  16. TZRusty

Jerall. Call me 570 500-2684. I would be interested in buying the Nikko baker chassis. Russ

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Beautiful!!!!! Congrats on such a lovely bike.

18. TZRusty

19. hockyis1

Latest update. It took quite a few months for CMR to build the chassis, tank, and expansion chambers. But it's being shipped tomorrow. Looking forward to putting it all together. Will still need to wait to get the engine rebuilt and then mounted into the chassis. Hopefully it will be ready to go by summer. Pics are from CMR when it was being mocked up.

Here is what was purchased:
    1) Frame kit with Ohlins shock built by Jon Cornwell
    2) Fairing stay
    3) Rear sets
    4) fully floating rear caliper
    5) Aluminum fuel tank
    6) CMR billet triples
    7) CMR built Swarbrick expansion chambers

Attached Files:

20. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

That thing is the dog's bollocks!! Where are you getting your pistons from? Are the cylinders now nikasil plated to handle chrome rings? Expiring minds want to know!