1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tz250 frame dimensions?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by britx303, Nov 2, 2015.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Im trying to find some actual dimensions/blueprints for a 70's tz250 frame. Are these out there and accessible?

2. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

But what you're really asking is "are they the same as a RD350?" :Poke:

3. britx303

:crackup: No,I know they are different in a few ways. My boss and I have been talking for a few years about building a frame,and Im thinking a TZ. Especially if the RD engine will bolt in:Poke::D

4. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I believe I have them and they are different depending on the year. I believe it is correct that for the twin shock bikes the RD and TZ are the same. Later models (monoshock) may have a bit les rake.

73 - 75 twin shocks (TD3/TR3 TA250 TZ250/350A)

76 - 78 first gen mono shock

79 - 80 low boy mono shock

5. britx303

Monoshock is what Im looking for.

6. Yamaha Fan

First gen or low boy?

7. britx303

Good question. I was just on a frame site and saw the "low" frame. I honestly dont know the difference at this point.

8. Yamaha Fan

From the first year TD3 / TR3 (I am not sure of the first year 72 or 73) to the 1980 TZ250G and the unchanged TZ350G sold as the 1981 TZ350H in Europe, any DS7/RD/TZ motor will bolt in.

The low boy frames were a direct development of a works bike Roberts rode in Europe. Think the front section of the RZ350 frame. They were called low boys because of the angular twin tube frame from the steering had down to the swing arm mount.

I have to find my Colin McKellar TZ bible, re-modeling part of the house it is tucked away. It has all the specifications for the TZ's

TZ250/350 OEM "LowBoy"

[​IMG]

Harris LowBoy

[​IMG]

All I could find of the first gen mono shock was the parts diagram minor changes from the twin shock with a split upper steering neck to allow clearance for the shock.
    [​IMG]

Twin shock TZ frame (TD/TR frame is the same but without the radiator mounts)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  9. britx303

Cool,thank you. Its definatly not for the 2016 season,but we've been talking about building a frame for 12 or so years,and now that i have an RD again,im rounding up all the pipe and can put it on a warm burner to finish a frame for the following year.

10. charles

charles The Transporter

The Australian www.tz350.net website contains much info on all TZ's…especially older ones.

11. Yamaha Fan

You don't want to use stock / TZ frame numbers. I can provide what you want for dimensions. Will this be a twin shock bike?

12. britx303

Monoshock. Im liking the Harris and another one,which I just forgot the dag gone name:eek: Gotta go check whatever site I went on a while ago.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Nikko Bakker? Spondon? try the aussie TZ350 website, lots of pics of many different TZ aftermarket frames…and tech info.

14. britx303

BINGO! Thats the site I was on.....I was bored and went on too many of them and couldnt figure where I was when I found them.:p Im too young to be this absent-minded:D