1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two stroke resto mod

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Spang308, Oct 17, 2018.

1. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

I literally think about stupid projects like this all the time. I'm glad we have this support group to help addicts like me :)

2. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Thanks for sharing!!

3. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Resto mod, so to speak. Maintaining motor in stock-ish frame to keep within rules. RG400 circa 1985

Screenshot_2018-11-21-11-56-05.png Screenshot_2018-11-21-11-56-36.png

trussdude, Evill Ed and renegade17 like this.
  4. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

yeah i'm cool with this.

5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Rz500 a, stock probably deliver 75 real horsepower ,to add performance/port/carbs on average.. just over 100 h.p. there's a few that have gone bumping close to 120 but very few, and likely just tune for good Dyno runs.
    A modified RZ 350 will run circles around an RV 500 the engines are 1/2 the weight, the bikes almost half the weight in race trim... I've ridden both, I like both but the capability of the rz350 with the big bore cylinders is far beyond what an RZ500 can be modified to achieve.... There's also a huge price disparity building the two machines all things being equal a tricked-out 500 and a chassis is a pretty nice toy, plenty of great examples out there

I'm no expert but I know these bikes pretty darn well I've had them since they were new.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. chrisbrown

chrisbrown Well-Known Member

My "resto-mod" RD400
    Stripped down to frame for a re-powder coat and basic refresh.
    Not a ton of work like the above...but my work
    New tail/seat/paint/clip-ons

Attached Files:

Black46 and Phl218 like this.
  7. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20190118-174036.png

This was mine, 79 Daytona 400.
    Had SCR modified DG Sunburst heads, on a old Spec 2 built engine.
    Came w rearsets, FFP pipes, Moto Carrrea millennium pipes, FZR600 from brake conversion, period clip ons, and a trimmed tail !
    I sold this bike, as I only bought it as you see it for $1300.00...sold it 5 yrs ago... Thinking I'd always be able to find another.
    My biggest motorcycle regret! In these 5 years prices have gone really high, seems I can't touch a RD400 for under 4k and thats a basket case too.
    Bums me out! I don't care one bit about originality...I want a stripped down /modified RD400 76-79. !
    Looks like a dream I'll never get to live out again.....I won't pay crazy $ for one,
    These bikes were always silly cheap if not free.....lol
    I'd pay a reasonable amount for a running project though...just not the collector prices everyone seems to want for one these days.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    trussdude likes this.