1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Stroke Gurus: CR125r Odd Noise

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FastByKids, Nov 3, 2021.

1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

There is always so much knowledge in this forum.

We got a CR125r gifted to the family for some flat track training. Bike was not running and would not start. It was stored outside in the AZ climate for way to long.

What I’ve done.
    Drained and refreshed gas.
    Went through and replaced electrical (plug / wire / CDI)
    Cleaned carb and flipped Reed valve.

Bike starts correctly but something is odd sounding. Or am I being paranoid?

2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

Nope, you're not being paranoid, there is definitely something there that doesn't sound right. I'd pop the cylinder off to get a look at the wrist pin and big end bearings and the general condition of the piston and bore.

DmanSlam and FastByKids like this.
  3. FastByKids

Yes, been studying YouTube vids. Kids and I will do the top end tear down this evening. Wish us luck. I just hope it isn't in the crank. Splitting the case not something I want to do.

4. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Also, looks like it is leaking fuel from the petcock in that video.

FastByKids likes this.
  5. FastByKids

Yes, I have a new reed valve system, air filter, gasket kit, and petcock incoming via Amazon.

This Saturday will be visiting AutoZone to replace all the fuel and cooling hoses.

6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This. What @Toadmeister00 wrote.

Splitting the case isn't hard. Just need the right tools and patience. You'll wish you had while you have it open that far. Will suck to have a bottom-end mechanical down the road.

p.s., flush the transmission and the coolant (remember to 'burp' it).

7. FastByKids

We opened up the top last night and found this. The guys from the CR Facebook group have been phenomenal. Appears the crank is about to let go. Kids and I have a winter project to completely rebuild a engine. A bottom end kit is on order. My only butthurt are the purchasing of special tools I most likely won't use again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Case splitter, flywheel puller, and I use a tusk crank puller/installer. Works great if you don't have a press which I don't. Tusk tool was like 70 from rocky mountain atv. Flywheel puller 10-30 from same place. I have a motion pro case splitter I bought years ago so I don't know how much now. You can do all at the house with those 3 tools and not have a problem.

9. Toadmeister00

Yup, what @CBR723 said above is spot on. I have the Tusk case splitter and crank puller ($70 each from RMATV) and various Tusk/ Motion Pro flywheel pullers. You'll spend less on the tools than what you'd pay someone to rebuilt the thing for you.

What bottom end kit are you going with? I would suggest that you NEVER run a Wiseco crank. Hot Rods stuff is a little bit better, but O.E. is the only way to go, in my opinion.

10. FastByKids

Well crap, a Wiseco kit pulled up on Amazon. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

And yes, we do all of our own work. Wouldn't be able to finance this addiction if I paid people to wrench for us. Plus the kids learn a great skill set in case college is not for them.

11. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

What year is that? I remember OEM honda cranks on pre 97 bikes were cheap compared to other brands. You can also just do the rod but will need a press and true it up. I think at time my cost was 100 for assembled crank. May not be in stock anymore. Wrench rabbit kit has been good.

12. FastByKids

1998, I'll dig into it further.

Partzilla Crank only $262.89
    Wrench Rabbit Complete kit $454.28
    Amazon Wiseco Complete kit $234.85

This is a flat track build not a MX purpose.

What exactly is the knock on the Wiseco?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  13. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Rocky Mountain is 220. Pro x also has crank assemblies and rods if you want to do extra labor. I think the wiseco problem was rod fatigue and breaking in half then killing the cases.

14. Toadmeister00

Honda East Toledo has the cranks for $205. For that price, it's not worth rebuilding your existing crank. When you add up the new rod kit, labor and shipping back and forth to whoever would do the work, you'll be at roughly the same money. If you were working on a KTM or Husky where the cranks are $400-600, rebuilding them makes perfect sense.

Regarding the Wiseco cranks, there are just so many failures with them that it's not worth the risk (big end bearing failures). Spend a few minutes searching around the various 2T forums on Thumpertalk and you'll see for yourself. My personal experience with them is a friend's 150R that had the rod break on a Wiseco crank with very little time on it. It wasn't pretty, the cases were completely wrecked.

It's just hard to go wrong with the o.e. cranks and the quality o.e. Japanese bearings. Same with the pistons, the o.e. are made by Art and are good. I do like and use the Tusk gasket and seals kits.

O.E. would be my first choice with either an o.e. or Vertex piston, the Wrench Rabbit kit (Hot Rods crank/ bearings) would be my second choice. Those seem to be hit or miss. Lots of people getting 100+ hours with them, and some random low-hour failures.

borislav and FastByKids like this.
  15. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

If you are doing crank do all your bearings as well, you are already there. Most of the bearings will come out easy if you heat your cases in an oven @275 deg. and tap them flat on piece of wood. Clutch engagement pin bearings you will have to use blind bearing puller which can be handy if you have stubborn case bearing. Use GOOD bearings NTN, KOYO…

16. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Glad to see you are able to work out the motor issues. We talked about it at GNF. I'm the vintage guy that was pitted just down from you and your kids.
    Special kudos to you for keeping several kids on bikes at the track!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    FastByKids likes this.
  17. FastByKids

Well thank you so much!
    Parker still talks about you Mustang pulling your enclosed trailer. Guys like us are whom keeps this sport going!

dave3593 likes this.
  18. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I checked your profile. We are both Engineers.
    Next time we meet we can talk shop a little.

FastByKids likes this.
  19. FastByKids

Whelp, this little test of patience monster has finally been defeated!

Complete rebuild with extra $$$ spent on the cylinder.

We learned a bunch but I just don't think 2 smokes are for us.

Anyone know what it is worth?

[​IMG]