1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twins cup ! I figured it out.

Discussion in 'General' started by track wagon, Jul 21, 2018.

1. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

As I sat and watched it...( I am putting an effort together for next year). My biggest problem is how will I make every round with work? Sure I can put together some money to start. But I dont have the time nor money to travel to every round. That's alot of 4 day weekends. If they did practice and qualifying on Saturday race Sunday I could maybe pull it off if another team took my bike with them. None of those riders get paid to ride and have to work regular jobs. Of course the grid will be small... only 2 riders have made it to every round. They need to make it Saturday Sunday only. My 2 cents.

bbsteinnewyork and cajun636 like this.
  2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

It is good the way it is.... you need a more flexible job...no way they can squeeze everything in 2 days.

3. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

It's two days off or pay a team to transport your bike, then it's one day off.

4. bbsteinnewyork

bbsteinnewyork Active Member

It's been done before. Only other option is to cut the number of events

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Or race the stock 1000 class, it has the schedule you desire.

G 97 likes this.
  6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

It’s pretty much 2 days off work either way unless you live close by.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

There are rule changes in the works for 2019. I have no idea what they are but I dont expect massive changes. Interest in the class is picking up. Its good to see a Kawi on the grid. Hopefully the grids grow in 2019

r6boater and noles19 like this.
  8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Something loan me a bike for a few weekends and I'll go be a grid filler. Lol

9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

It's not a team race.

t11ravis likes this.
  10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:moon:

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Ok then what is the problem in your eyes?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They have races like that - it's called club racing and you do that. The MA stuff is professional racing and is not designed for people doing it just for fun.

The grids are small because the popularity if lightweight twins is waning. Look at the local(ish) people in the Superstock 1000 race at Miller - popular class and draws a lot more riders from nearby to supplement those chasing the entire series. Look at the Junior Cup race - that is where most of the people who used to ride LW Twins are and the MA grids show it.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10 bikes at Miller with only half finishing is picking up?

I love that you guys are having fun doing it but the class needs to not be run again. There are better options out there for filling the time that will draw more riders and people to the track.

panthercity likes this.
  14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What would draw more riders?
    And if they switch classes they should announce it soon or they will be in the same position with people not getting bikes ready imo.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing will draw more riders. The class is inherently not as popular right now. Nothing anyone can do about it but ride it out. The little bikes have taken off and that's where the vast majority of those who used to be attracted to the LW Twins bikes have gone. There is a finite group of riders who want to ride things under the 600cc four level.

At some point the interest will go back to LW Twins - or maybe even LW fours if the OEM's make some cool ones cheap. It's all cyclical. No one would have ever considered a Hawk or GS500 when the FZR400 was available for example.

Luckily I run club races so I can keep the LW Twins combined with other classes so they'll continue to be a good step between the little ones and a 600 for those who choose that route but it's not something that ever should have been made a pro class. The numbers have been falling regularly for too many years with all the orgs.

Switching to a class that has a large club following wouldn't have any issues drawing riders. Look at ALL of the other MA classes as an example of that. The rules for the Twins class aren't so different as to keep someone from going and having fun if they wanted to. No one wants to...

16. noles19

I agree, but you're the one who said something else would draw more riders:crackup:

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Your limited vacation days....

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our Triple Crown draws more riders and each of those riders brings people into the facility - I was talking about other things MA can do, not things the class can do.

19. noles19

Gotcha, I thought you were saying a change in classes would improve the situation, and was honestly asking what other class you'd suggest.
    I think having classes like they do now including wera to fill out the day is the best thing for the show, when I was there a couple years ago there was way too much down time.

5axis likes this.
  20. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I hope Kawasaki takes advantage of the very cool and timely opportunity that a woman on a twin gets on the podium in a Pro race in America.
    Suzuki ran a great ad after VIR with 3 SV’s.
    These are great marketing opportunities.