1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin Cities KTM 450 engine repair?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dazo, Nov 20, 2019.

1. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

Engine cut out on my 2006 KTM 450 EXC supermoto at the last track event I went to. When I push the start button I just hear a whirring sound and it seems like it isn't making compression.

I just moved to the Twin Cities area about 4 months ago, so I don't know who the reputable mechanics in the area are. Any suggestions where to take it?

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I suggest hitting Thumpertalk in your regional forum or the KTM side. They can recommend a shop based on your location. Good luck, those issues can be really simple, or... not simple.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Are you just hearing the starter spin without engaging? Check the bendix?

4. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I have not checked that, but the bike died while I was coming into the pits (didn't stall the bike). As I was coasting in I tried to pop the clutch to see if that would start it back up, but it did not. I let the bike cool down and tried the started, but all I hear is the whirring sound. I haven't really messed with trying to diagnose the problem, because I was worried that trying to turn the motor over might cause more damage than is already there.