1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV internet app BS

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Whycome certain apps work, and some don’t. It happened suddenly last night...and it’s on every TV in the house.

It isn’t a WiFi issue, because the phones and laptops work, and on the TVs Netflix works.

But Amazon, VuDu, Hulu, and YouTube do not work. It says there is no internet connection.

When I go into the network settings, I’ve tried swapping from the regular and 5G. It connects fine, but it says no internet connection. Which is weird, because Netflix works perfectly. It’s only those apps that don’t work.

...but Amazon Prime works fine on the laptop.

How is it that every TV in the house suddenly stopped working on those specific apps?

2. BTW - I’ve tried resetting the router, and unplugged the TV for a few mins. Neither helped.

WiFi - works on everything.
    Netflix - works on everything.
    YouTube, Hulu, VuDu, Amazon - works on laptops and phones, but none of the TVs.

WTF

3. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

4. I thought about that, but why is Netflix still working fine?

And why do those other apps work fine on the laptop, just not the TV?

It isn’t that they are slow. They all day “No internet connectivity”.

What’s funny is when I go into the Network settings on the TV, where it has the 4 circles, with the hash between each one (showing the steps necessary to have internet on the TV), the first 2 circles are green, then it has an “X” right before the circle with “DNS” in it.

Then at the bottom, it says “No internet via WiFi”.

...but Netflix works fine. And the WiFi is fine on the laptops.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

ISP.

They’ve either got a routing problem or they “updated” things like they did for me, and took two weeks of being told they only support Windows clients directly connected to the cable modem before someone with an ass that didn’t serve as a hat figured out they fucked up.

The electric kool-aid acid test is to set your phone to hotspot and try streaming through that.

If that works, good luck...cuz the cable company tech support are morons

6. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

DNS is how a device is able to resolve a name (say, netflix.com) to an ip address. It appears your AP is not providing a valid DNS server, or the DNS server it is providing isn't working.
    Windows laptop? It's working because it performs DNS caching - you're working off that. Same for the phones if they're android.

Is it an ISP provided wifi access point? Do you have admin access to it? You may be able to click around and fix the issue.

If you can manually set the network config on your tv, you could manually set the ip, netmask, gateway and dns server which would fix your problem.

John

7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Whycome" ???....

8. joec

joec brace yourself

Mine has been botched on and off the past week too. Sometimes the TV connects, sometimes it won't, other times it's been days with no internet and the TV is fine..I know they both work off a separate signal but figured it's not a big deal.. figured it was maybe a heavy local use issue.. If Netflix YouTube or Amazon go offline..... Things are going to get real ugly. Lol.

9. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

What sucks is you have to be a goddamn network wizard to watch TV these days...and GET OFF MY LAWN!!

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There's a relevant youtube vid at the beebsdungeon... in the meme thread. Can't be posted on the 13x youtube thread for fear of banhammer.

https://beebsdungeon.boards.net/

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Keep in mind, I know fuckall about any of that. So if I am understanding you correctly, the TVs (all of them) don't know how to find Vudu/Amazon/YouTube because they cant match the name with the address. Right?

You lost me with the rest of the lines. :crackup:

I don't know how to manually configure anything. Ive done all kinds of clicking around, but it didn't help.

Since it was working fine, then suddenly stopped working on all of the TVs at the same time. Wouldn't that point towards an issue towards the apps/providers, rather than the TVs?

Or no?

12. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

Click harder.

And yes, the TVs have no way to find where on the internet Netflix/Amazon/Vudu live.

Is your WiFI AP provided by your ISP? Is so, they should be able to get into it an fix whatever is borked with the DNS settings on it.

John

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. I gotta say, I really appreciate the effort you are putting in to trying to help. But I don’t even know what those acronyms mean, much less how to answer those questions.

My WiFi is from Comcast. I do know that. But that’s all I got. :crackup:

So I should be able to call Comcast and they can hawk in and fix my TV?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Have you unplugged the router and modem for a few minutes, not just turned it off (hard reset)?

15. Shit. Now that I think about it, I don’t even know what “WiFi” stands for. :crackup:

I know it’s how I get internet to shit without having a cable plugged in. But that’s it.

16. No. That’s one thing I haven’t done.

But I’m scared to do it because there is the cable that comes from the wall, then the power button on the box, then from there it goes to the alien spaceship looking box with all the bigass antennas.

IIRC, all that shit has to be plugged in and/or turned on in a specific order.

I’m guaranteed to fuck it all up.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Unplug the router, unplug the modem wait a few minutes, plugin the modem, wait a couple minutes, plug in the router. Apply patience. See if that worked.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

And here's where your plan failed...

Edit...BTW i also think its funny that Broome's getting tech advice from a guy so old he once yelled at a young Jesus to get of his sand....:D

tl1098, Gorilla George and TurboBlew like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thanks eversomuch for pointing out my cleverly disguised out.