1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntables

Discussion in 'General' started by TSWebster, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

My old turntable is finally giving up. Anyone have a recommendation for a moderately priced ($4-500)one. I think I would prefer a direct drive one.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not belt?

3. TSWebster

I guess I'm worried about replacement belts 7 years down the road. I also have a tendency to stop the turntable to lift off the albums and I understand that isn't good for the belt drives. I have heard that the direct drive produce a truer speed, though I have no idea if that is true. I think the biggest drawback maybe that on some direct drive models may pick up the sound of the motor?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was dicking around with the marantz tt42 a few weeks back and it was "okay enough". Around $320 but it was belt drive. They had a marantz reference series next to it and with the 180 gram vinyl I brought with, it obviously killed the tt. Warmer sound and a better "feel". But at 6 times the price it had better.

Direct drive is getting a bit harder to find. I kind of agree with you though.

5. TSWebster

Yeah, $1800 is a little more than I want to spend to listen to my old vinyl. My ear ain't that good once I have some of that scotch in me.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have a Yamaha PX-3 linear that I bought in Germany in 1983. Awesome turntable. I think they are fairly reasonable on EBay.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I cheated on the belts for my old Linn turntable (bought used (f@cked the heck up) in a pawn shop for $100). I went to Sears and got a bunch of vaccum belts and just swapped them out as they wore out.

Finally had to throw it away after the motor shitted out and the only cartridges I could find were used on Scambay.

8. trancework

trancework It's always now...

9. Techniques 1200 are bullet proof direct drive turntables. One of mine is from the early 90s and still works great. They were discontinued last year, but you can find them. There are a bunch on ebay.

Edit.... Trancework beat me to it.

10. ton

ton Arf!

i love the concept of you playing old punk records on a Linn. that's very... Henry Rollins of you.

Audiogon.com

might be a good source of nice used stuff if a fella would want to go that direction.

11. trancework

Used to run these nonstop at WFIT Florida Tech back in the day when it was still "college" music. :D

12. rd400racer

I used to consider myself somewhat of an audiophile. I still have double Yamaha M70 amps running through a C70 pre-amp into a set a Klipsch Cornwalls (couldn't spring for McIntosh at the time so this had to do).

But my tinnitus is so bad now that I just plug my Ipod into a set of computer speakers and thats good enough for me. Kind of sad, but what's an old guy to do?!

13. TSWebster

14. TSWebster

You must have kept your music turned up too loud.:Poke:

15. trancework

They can provide excellent sound quality with the right setup--cartridge is key, though... You can find high-end ones like: http://www.ortofon.com/ -- or dig around the vinyl forums for other recommendations: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=35546

16. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

You went to FIT? I went there from 84 to 87. Used to LOVE WFIT!

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Depends on what you want. If you like analog sound its worth caring for.

A good new unit is the Rega RP1. Its belt though, as I'm unsure why you'd want direct for a home unit. Technics makes some low end direct units, which might serve you fine, but won't sound as good.
    Be sure yo get a cartridge to match the phono stage. By your post I assume an older Japanese preamp?

18. rd400racer

Yep. 30+ years of riding motorcycles, 40 years of rock and roll and 15 years playing in a band took their toll. I wear earplugs now but the guys in the band say YOUR TOO LOUD. F them.

Hey young dudes, when an old guy says it's too loud, IT'S TOO LOUD.

(you'll thank me later)

19. trancework

I went to Wickham U for a bit, DJed the late night out of the peoples republic of Lake Washington and eventually went primetime... We were the last crew before it went all Jazz... I was on there as VitaminJ. :D Good times....

20. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Wickham U = BCC got it:D The alternative music was spectacular back then and WFIT got it out there in a big way. What was the freq? 89.5 or something like that? Loved those days in Melbourne!