1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning a dirt bike into a road racer.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBowen33, Jul 21, 2018.

1. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

The dirt bike road-racers are 'like' riding a gp type bike. They were a bit ahead of their time ten years ago, but make more sense now. Big corner speed and good on the brakes. You need to ride it hard to make the lap time. Yes, it is faster package to put a dirt bike motor in a gp frame, but that is more money and a lot more fabrication than using the dirt bike chassis. The bikes crash well and it's a lot easier to find dirt bike parts than gp stuff. Super easy to work on. No more money than a decent superbike sv build and a very different riding experience. You can get good bodywork from Airtech and I am sure that Geoff will help you sort out the suspension if you get in touch. I have more fun riding mine than any other bike I have had.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It was some of your bikes ive seen out there with us a few times.Beautiful bikes!

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Worked just fine. I went pretty decent on it.

JBowen33 likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, I should’ve been more clear - the bike I’m throwing street wheels on is a 250.

Fucking stoked to go have some fun with that at the kart tracks.

JBowen33 likes this.
  5. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

That’s good to hear. I’m trying to convert it on the cheap. It will be nothing more then a track day “toy” as I probably will never want to race it and will keep it in my garage as a “conversation” piece and because the gp bodywork looks so cool. lol

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If I was putting bodywork on it, I'd lower it too. I ran mine as a supermoto.

7. wolfie109

wolfie109 Well-Known Member

I have a GP TECH conversion it truly is a blast to ride . I admit it can't totally compare to my TZ, but as long as you understand it is a different animal you won't be disappointed. I normally race at Loudon, have raced at NJMP Thunderbolt and trackday Lightning and NYST. It gets to just about 110-112 at the end of Loudon's front straight, to get more at bigger tracks you have to gear it taller.

Attached Files:

blkduc, noles19, Kurlon and 1 other person like this.
  8. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

A supermoto conversion doesn't have to be that expensive. You can get by with a big front rotor and wheels. You would need to tighten up the suspension but it doesn't take much to get on the track. Then upgrade as you see fit. I've been running just an oversized rotor and I'm finally finding the limit of the stock system after 2 year so you don't need a $1,600 brake kit to start. All that I have done on my bike is wheels, triples with a shorter offset, adjusted stock suspension, and slipper.

9. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

I had a yamaha atv 450 stuffed into a tzr chassis... 2 happiest days were getting it and finally selling it... So much bling but such a pain in the ass..
    side smaller.jpg

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hell, you don't even need an oversized rotor depending on your starting pace. Get a set of used wheels and run it! Then start planning upgrades.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I would love to try both of those machines some day...

12. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

13. JBowen33

Well I do have the suspension upgraded by factory connection but for motocross.

It has crossed my mind about just slapping wheels on there and going to town. I know the 450 might be able big for the kart tracks but screw it. I just want to have fun with the big all it is doing now is sitting.

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What kart track?
    Some a 450 is perfect. I love my fs450, I'm convinced it's the best bike from the factory ever.

15. JBowen33

NJMP.

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah little tight up there but still fun I'm sure.
    Nyst is supposed to be a blast on a supermoto.
    Plus there are other supermoto tracks up that way, and supermoto east coast races up there.

17. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

There's your answer. Just put wheels on, twist throttle and smile. Wheels have to be purchased if going the super single route anyway. Just get them now and roll as is. Get the rest if you feel like it.

Dragginass likes this.
  18. wolfie109

wolfie109 Well-Known Member

What didn't you like about the TZR hybrid, was it plagued with problems or vibration?

19. JBowen33

That’s my plan as of now.

I really have no desire to race a supermoto more just want it for mid week shenanigans at a kart track so if it does have decent with just wheels I’ll be happy.

20. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

if you get the hang of backin' it in, you wont need as much front brake anyway.. lol

oh and... SuperMoto FTW