1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn light switch on...

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Dec 8, 2021.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

...light comes on for about 1-2 seconds, then goes out. Turn switch off and then back on, light comes on for 1-2 seconds, then goes out again. Old bulb, new buld, doesn't matter.

What would cause this?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Communism.

Montoya, tl1098, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  3. tiggen

Slow day? Btw, hope your goalie is ok.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Maybe a bad switch or connection in the circuit? When you turn it on and it gets warm it breaks contact. On/off rests it?

Something like this is only thing i can come up with. Maybe replace switch if still bad replace fixture???

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

She's mostly okay. Back in the cage, moving a little bit slow but should have no lasting injuries.

Yeah, all I could think was communism, Mongo or a lose wire but since I'm not an electrician and Mongo is busy ruining roadracing and has no time for f@cking with your electrics I went with communism.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    dtalbott likes this.
  6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Other option was Canada....

BigBird, BHP41 and R Acree like this.
  7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

It's mocking you.

BigBird likes this.
  8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Bad switch, bad socket, or loose wire. (assuming no fancy smart-switch, smart-bulb, led socket, etc.)

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Your kid is standing around the corner flipping the second switch in the circuit.

Ducati89, Montoya, dtalbott and 2 others like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Or maybe.....

[​IMG]

11. tiggen

Lol, would not surprise me. May need to test again after bedtime.

beac83 likes this.
  12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The day that son realises that Dad isn't that bright!.... :D

speedluvn and tiggen like this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pay your damn heated seat bill and we’ll make your lights work.

BigBird and tiggen like this.
  14. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Switch says..."Hahaha I laugh at you ! "
    Definitely needs a looking at.

15. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

What kind of light fixture is it? What about the switch; toggle, rocker, dimmer?

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

*Disclaimer - I don't know dick about electricity, just repeating what I was told about a similar situation.

I've got a similar issue with a switch in my entrance - there's a 1 or 2 second delay from when I flick it to when the lights turn on. When I asked my electrician cousin about it, he said it's an issue with a lot of houses from this era (late 80s) and using neutrals in an effed up way (I have no idea what that means).

It's the same reason the wall mount timers all seem to crap out and malfunction after a relatively short time out of the box.

17. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

Don’t know if this is your issue but older timers use trickle current through the incandescent light bulb’s filament and won’t work properly with LEDs.

burnham likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Not paid for light switch option activation when buying the house. The 1-2 sec on is the teaser

cha0s#242, R Acree, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  19. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

What kind of light and bulb combo? Ceiling fan?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

They are phasing out 3G, so you can't even use buy the subscription to the heated bulbs anymore.

VW said that the carnet in my car will not work soon since it's a 3G antenna in a 2019. That was shortsighted