1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuono V4 or Hyper

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 29, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Looks like Cycle World agrees with you.

"Best Standard Bike—2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Aprilia Tuono V4 RR wins the title of Cycle World's Best Standard Motorcycle for the second year in a row"

https://www.cycleworld.com/best-standard-bike-2018-aprilia-tuono-v4-1100-rr/

ducnut and turbulence like this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

just was looking for what the going price is, and don't want to pay more than necessary. IF I was in the market.

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

NemesisR6 likes this.
  4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I know this is going back a ways on this thread but since I have a 1290 SD and the other two guys I ride with a lot have the Tuono and Hyper, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. They each have unique personalities.

The 1290 is just dominated by the engine and sound. Torque is it's best characteristic. But it's also very comfortable. Mine is a first gen so not as much electronic dickery, plus I turn it all off unless it's raining so that's a moot point. cruise control would be nice. seriously. anything off idle and the front wheel just wants to save rubber. first, second and third gear. mine has full Akra, rottweiler intake, PCV, QS.

Tuono v4 is a sport bike with tubular handlebars. The foot pegs are WAY higher than the 1290's. the electronics on the newer model are way better than the first gen 1290's. Can't compare it to the second gen 1290, haven't ridden one. Might be nice to have some level of traction control that would leave off or allow honking wheelies (that is the point of these bikes, isn't it?). the motor is stout but you still have to rev it a bit to really run it hard. At least compared to the 1290 which starts to pull your arms off just off idle. handles great. If you have any desire or need to run on the track I'd lean in this direction. Mostly street, IMHO I'd go 1290.

The hyper is just that. It's the hyperactive little brother to the other two. Taken by itself, it's a solid bike that puts a huge grin on your face and is really like a big dirt bike. But when ridden with the other two it's a bit down on power. Ok, maybe more than a bit, but it's still fun. FYI this is the 821 or whatever the middle range Hyper is, not the 1100 air cooled or the latest version. Haven't ridden either of them. My friends hyper is pretty well set up with full ohlins rear (aftermarket) and AK20 forks. lots of billet/carbon stuff. beautiful bike. Termis sound good (IMHO not as good as the 1290 w/ full akra but it does sound good).

you can get used first gen 1290's in the 8-10k range currently,

just throwing my thoughts out there...

sdiver and ducnut like this.
  5. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

Can they handle jeep trails?

gt#179 likes this.
  6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Like a BOSS!!! ;)

[​IMG]

7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

ducnut likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ I appreciate all that. Really puts the bikes in perspective.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I think the Tuono might land me in jail. The engine sings softly yet violently - and before I can blink - I'm going 92mph down a country road.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Really does.

And re affirms for me that the Hyper is the one I want. I just want it to sound like the RSV! :crackup:

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I rode an RC8, a few weeks ago, and all I could think about was how badass an SD-variant must be. The GT version is really intriguing.

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have owned an RC8R and a 1290 R superduke. The Superduke is 10 times more fun and alot more radical.

ducnut likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

sure it's not 92 "Klicks"/hr, oh Canada and all

14. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

The 2017 and later SD's have electronic cruise, and a brilliant OEM quick shifter, and I think standard heated grips. And slightly different bodywork. Also the correct shock spring in the back, but the forks still need more spring. The display is def more modern, however, I still prefer a needle tachometer, so, meh.

The SD-GT is very nice, only gripe is the windscreen makes the turbulence loud around the helmet. I've experienced this with FJR's and ST's too, but seems a bit worse. Would be one of my top choices for a long range machine.

One thing with the KTM - you will find nothing made ever that's easier to work on. Well, maybe a stretch, but it is well thought out for maintenance. I.e. - you can actually take your own fork valving apart without special toos, and the manual has the shock disassembly instructions, and doesn't require much for special tools. Oil filter system is weird, but really no diff in complexity.

The Superduke is far and a way the best in all day comfort of those choices if you're tall, that's why I went with it. Coincidentally, the pegs will drag at the track at any kind of brisk track pace.

The KTM twin is a good motor, lots of fun, and very usable. But, I suspect that next SD will be a V-4. If I get to choose between Ducati, Aprilia, and KTM for a raucus V-4, I'll be pretty happy.

15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

put an SC Project and race ecu on it today...

good fucking god the noise!! it's mental. and the quickshift up and auto blip down.... fAck!!

[​IMG]

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I demoed a used Hyper a couple weeks ago, jesus they sit high. Being inseam challenged I could not even tippy-toe the thing at a stop. Neat while you are moving, but just too tall when coming to a stop. Ended up buying a 14 Street Triple R. Neat little bike.

BigBird likes this.
  17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

May I recommend these....https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Hearing-Protection-Earplugs-
    Motosafe/dp/B06Y25SM97/ref=asc_df_B06Y25SM97/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366402715646&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4744246969348278451&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015624&hvtargid=pla-306694100283&ref=&adgrpid=74357600097&th=1

BTW, I have (2) Ohlins TTX shocks, a pre-2017 Ohlins shock that came on the Factory models, Aprilia/OZ black forged rims. pre-2017 Ohins Factory forks, Ohlins damper, Sato Racing rearsets, GB Racing engine covers....that I may be selling soon if interested.

I know you're a baller and have no problem buying shit brand new, but, just in case you would want to save a few thousand. :)

Lightweight wheels on the Tuono feels like you added 40 HP.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know it's too late but it's an easy fix to drop the ride height some without messing up the bike.

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yeah I talked to the sales guy about it, bike sits 35” and I have a 30” inseam. Would only be able to get about an inch and a half with different seat and a link, just didn’t think it would be enough. I really wanted it to work as it was 13 SP with all the neat stuff, oh well.

20. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

haha i’m far from a baller.. and if those were the rsv4 factory rims in red i might be interested. forged wheels are definitely on the list of things.

and yeah, i ALWAYS wear earplugs, i don’t know how people go without to be honest.

BigBird likes this.