1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuono V4 or Hyper

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Whoa! Never seen that color!

I've said it before, all of us who slept on that v4 will be like the folks who missed out on the RC51. It ain't perfect but it's a helluva lot of machine for the money!

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Suzuki BLUE!

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Failures of note (bike is at 14k miles now):
    1.) Battery drain, the ECU drains the battery, quick sitting, and if it's not 100%, this bike will not start.

2.) Fuel light failed (You can buy $800 pump assembly from Ducati or custom wire in your own thermistor (cheap but requires some work)). This is common.

3.) Clutch was gone in 10k miles. Needed new pack and a basket. Replaced with 48 tooth aftermarket clutch, which sounds much better. Rattles still, but not like someone threw a wrench in the engine.

4.) Anti-theft device randomly won't let the hike start. Just have to keep trying, eventually it starts.

So no catastrophic failures like an engine blown, just stuff that's left me stranded which is annoying in a street bike. I don't have any experience with any other 2v Ducatis, but it's been right inline with all my 4v Ducatis in the way you hold your breath each time pressing the starter button...will it start?

BigBird likes this.
  4. gapman789

2010 Hyper 1100- 397 lbs dry
    '16 Tuono - 415 dry

Hyper - 95 hp claimed
    Tuono - 160 hp at wheel

'16 Tuono has all the electronic gadgetry, even moreso in '17

Hyper= super uncomfortable, MX style seat, no wind protection, etc.
    Tuono can be taken out on 500 mile trips.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but i just can't see the Hyper being chosen over a Tuono, unless it's an economical decision.

In the meantime, there's this. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Aprilia-TUONO-V4-1100-FACTORY-ABS-5008306211

track wagon and Steeltoe like this.
  5. gapman789

Same buddy i mentioned earlier had an '08.....That thing was at the dealer more than in his garage. He got sick of it and pawned it off.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I think, it comes down to whether you like a motard on steroids or a superbike with a handlebar.

I’d definitely consider a 1290SD. Talk about a beast.

motion, MachineR1 and turbulence like this.
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

having owned the last three liquid cooled hypers (821, 939, 950) i'm not sure the tuono is a good comparable. it'll stomp all over a hyper in a straight line and fast sweepers. your best comparable from ducati is the monster R and even that won't keep up with a tuono.

i'd say tuono.

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Well this ain’t exactly helpful. The Tuono is not that much more on the used market either. I just always wanted the hyper.

I’d say I want a 50% mix of motard on steroids and superbike with a handlebar. So I’m no help even for my own case.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

what about a first gen 1200 multistrada?

kind of a mix between the two

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

SV 650
    Get an S for superbike and an N for motard.

/Thread

BigBird and BrianC636 like this.
  11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Pfft.

Owned dozens, like every other racer I’d assume.

12. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

hyper looks fun i'm ducati curious lol
    f6e38b8c27d7ac527de1faf0933f9c58.jpg

13. gapman789

Thats 2-3 x the money of a hyper 1100.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

This!

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

ducnut likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

FWIW, i’ve never had one bit of trouble with any of my hypers. Not even a dead battery. They just keep going and going.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Used: ~$9K and up.

19. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

If there is one thing I've learned with buying bikes it's to always buy what you either want or have always wanted. If you've always wanted a hyper then buy one, because no matter what you get you'll always have that nagging "what if" thought. The air cooled bikes are at a point where you can buy one, ride it and sell it the next year with little to nothing out of pocket. The Aprilia is a different story, their depreciation is on another level.

20. gapman789

True, but does any of us buy a motorcycle with resell value in mind? If thats the case, we’d all have HD baggers.

Scotty87 likes this.