1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tuning a modern 4 stroke dirtbike

Discussion in 'Tech' started by turbulence, Sep 6, 2020.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

so i’ve got this husqvarna fs450 supermoto. i’d like to throw a full exhaust on it. either the FMF or Akrapovic.. but i’m not finding much in the way of tuning options. some people from what i’m reading are throwing the pipe on and running it as is.. some people say the dealers have an “FMF tune” they can flash onto the bike. (i’ll call my dealer tuesday about this)... and then the only other option i’m seeing is a $700 vortex tuner.

i mean, i can get a full titanium exhaust for $1000... then it’s another $700 for a tuner??

what are everyone’s thoughts on this? anyone else run a full exhaust on a 450 dirtbike?

for all the people out there that have dirt bikes and i’m assuming exhausts, there is little to no info on how to tune these things.

thanks

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Vortex is a new ecu, with 10 map options so not a bad decision.
    The KTM key I've only ever read about but they seem pretty firm on it being dealer only
    The cheapest and option I'll probably go with is a power commander

turbulence likes this.
  3. turbulence

Geez... the websites I was looking at didn’t show a power commander available for anything after 2012.. and it’s been so long since I used one I figured they weren’t the “in” thing anymore... I should have just gone to power commanders website...

they don’t have one for a 2020 though, but I’m wondering if a 2018 version will work.... when they’re in stock that is

https://www.dynojet.com/power-commander-v-for-2016-2017-ktm-450-sxf-xcf-18-024/

they do have one for a 2020 Ktm 450.. wonder if that’ll work.. different part number from the one above... but also out of stock

https://www.dynojet.com/power-commander-v-for-2016-2017-ktm-350-sxf-xcf-18-025/

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

I got a booster plug on my fe350

full FMF torque bomb

no idea about afr or power numbers but seat of the pants is awesome

turbulence likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Do FMF and/or Akra make any recommendations?

6. turbulence

not that i’ve seen.. maybe i’m just looking in all the wrong spots.. i definitely don’t know where all the dirtbike guys get their parts and info

7. noles19

What year is your bike?
    I believe the ktm is the same that's what I'm planning to use.
    The vortex is better but I don't think it's worth the extra money to me right now

turbulence likes this.
  8. turbulence

9. noles19

I'd call power commander and check but I know with my year it's the same as the ktm

turbulence likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

I'd call. They're developing these pipes with a consideration for proper fueling. At least Akrapovic is...but his shit makes power either way.

11. turbulence

shit, i forgot about the booster plug

12. turbulence

call who?

and you're saying the full akra needs no tuning?

13. fastfreddie

Akrapovic. Igor Akrapovic. Call him. Tho' he may not be available these days, I'm sure his guys know what's up.

I'm not saying an Akra doesn't need tuning, just that it will still make power over the stock exhaust without further mapping. Properly tuned and nothing beats an Akra for increased levels of output across the rpm range.

Some trivia...
    - Igor and his team know exhaust flow. They were the guys welding up the Titanium exhaust nozzles on the ComBloc fighter jets before the wall fell. One look at their welds and you know Britt has some serious competition. :bow:
    - When Akra made pipes for Ducati's MotoGP introduction, the Italians couldn't have any of it...national pride or whatever. So Termignoni copied the Akra...and lost power.
    - Kinda don't wanna let this one out, but statute of limitations and all... Trey Batey's TL ran Akra exhaust, with an Arrow sticker. You could tell just by looking at it that it was an Akra.

Nothing compares to an Akra, it's a high standard that no one can match. FMF got fat, prolly couldn't find anyone to talk to, but maybe...

turbulence likes this.