1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TTR125 piston cylinder help

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Daniel06, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Alright. I have a ttr125. Since I bought it, it's had an engine tick a idle and low lugging rpm's. Up top range rpms it runs great. So I tore the engine down and found that the piston to cylinder clearance is .0045
    The manual says to have around .0008-.001 inch or something like that. It also states that .006 inch is the limit. I'm pretty sure the tick is piston slap. I didn't find anything else this far.

Bike ran great except for the ticking. It's not the valve adjustment either. That's been checked and rechecked.

Thoughts? .0045 too loose?

I'm thinking I'm gonna put a 1mm over piston in it. Anyone have a good source for a piston kit? Also, I'm in Birmingham, AL. Anyone know a good local shop to do the bore for me?
    Or, does anyone have some parts laying around that I could buy?

2. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

Daniel,

What are you going to do with the bike? Play or mini race?

Andrew

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on one of mine I did the 1mm over. Local guy did the bore for ~$40. The piston/ring/pin was a wiesco and it was like $55 shipped.

4. Daniel06

Just ride the shit out of it. Not Planning on any of the class racing. Just a little trainer.
    If I thought it would stay together, I'd just put it back together and ride the hell out of it.

.0045 clearance and piston slap, detrimental?

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

On that little piston, that's a lot. As TurboBlue says, really cheap to fix.

6. Daniel06

Cool guys. I'll order the weisco kit and just have it punched out. It seems the cheapest route since it comes w/ new pin and rings.

7. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

FWIW, my TTR ticks like that too. I'd just ride it.

8. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

Mine makes noise at all rpm, I've been waiting for it to come apart for 3 years....

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I don't know if mine makes noise or not... I think I need to ride it again.

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

11. Daniel06

12. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

Is that an aftermarket forged piston or the stock cast one? I am pretty sure the Wiseco forged pistons run much larger clearances than the stockers. Around .0035 in to .0045 in. They will tick more when they are cold.

13. Daniel06

Its the stock Yamaha piston and cylinder. It ticks cold or hot at idle and when lugging. Wfo it sounds smooth.

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

For this size motor the Wiseco only needs an additional .0005" to .0001" more than a cast piston. .0035> is too much for this motor.

15. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are probably right. That is just what the Wiseco rep told me to run for the 11:1 Forged Wiseco piston on my ttr125. Maybe someone else set his bike bike up with a forged piston at .0045 in, perhaps.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  16. Daniel06

No worries. Imma fix it right. It's a stock piston that is either wore out or setup loose. Either way, I've got it apart, I'm gonna fix it. Thanks for all the inputs.

17. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Just big bore it. Everyone needs more power.