1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TTR, XR, or DRZ?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by B. Myers, Feb 28, 2017.

1. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

Any preference for kart tracks (VIR), or small dirt tracks (Cornerspin type tracks) ?

100- 125 cc bikes, TTR, DRZ, XR? What sayeth the BBS?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

For pavement, 12" wheels, and a motor displacement cap of 150cc or less I prefer an XR/CRF70 frame. I like the geo better than the KLX110, it's way roomier than an XR50, and again compared to the KLX110 you get more HP per CC out of the Honda mill. They can be built to put down more power than an XR100 / TT-R125 and still hold together longer.

Bigger wheels, I liked my TT-R on pavement but it's noticably heavier than an XR100. For flat track my TT-R's setup was way wrong, the dialed in XR100 actually wanted to turn where the TT-R fought me tooth and nail. I've no idea if the TT-R could be coaxed into cooperating or not, I had the only one that showed up it seemed.

3. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Honda 100 all day. Not sure where you live but the 100 racing at Herrin's is awesome!

noles19 and Will9465 like this.
  4. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

For the road racing I've done, the XR/CRF100 has been best suited. TTRs and DRZs are heavier and take some manipulating to keep the chattering down. DO NOT buy the new CRF125! A buddy of mine bought one thinking the extra motor and disc brake would be nice, turns out they changed the gearbox to 4 speeds and the thing is slow as balls out of the box (although it still handles sweet).

5. B. Myers

Thanks guys.... I'm in Va, so most likely just VIR kart track or Cornerspin in NC.

6. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Yeah its too bad Honda screwed that up with the 125. The rest of the "upgrades" vs the 100 were all checking off the list but the gearbox was a big swing and a miss. I wish the front end from the new 125 would bolt up to the 100 though .......

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I have an XR and DRZ and for dirt track I prefer the XR. It handles/turns better than the DRZ. To be fair my DRZ is a little rough around the edges so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. My DRZ is also the model with the smaller wheels (17" and 14"). The one with the bigger wheels I'm sure handles completely different. The DRZ does have a bigger frame so there is more leg room but it's also heavier. It has much better suspension than the XR but that's really only a factor if you plan on jumping it.

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Xr/crf100 and come ride minis at Cmp sometime!

B. Myers likes this.
  9. B. Myers

Anyone know of any XR/CRFs for sale? Local Craigslist are either beat, or folks not serious in selling.

10. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, join Herrin compound discussions and CRF's buy sell trade on FB, there's always a few good ones there for sale. It doesn't take much to set one up for Supermoto if you can't find one ready to go.
    And I can't recommend Cornerspin enough, it's a total blast and you'll definitely learn something. And, they provide the bikes, mostly Honda 100's, they have a few 150f's for bigger guys.

B. Myers likes this.
  11. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member