1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TTR 125 motard?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by bella749, Oct 2, 2012.

1. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a '08 TTR 125LE (16/19" wheels) for the wife and I to play around on. I'd like to pick up a second set of wheels to mount sumo tires for kart tracks. What's the preferred wheel/tire combos? What years are compatible?

2. FEMotorsports

FEMotorsports Fast Eddys Motorsports

We had one with Excel rims laced to stock hubs. 2.5" front 3.5" rear I think. Ran Dunlop 125GP slicks. Didn't help, but it looked fast :up:

Colin

3. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

mount some BT45's on it and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yea....keep the wheels and just buy some street tires. Those bikes are dreadfully slow....no reason to bust a bunch of cash on wheels it cant spin.

I have a customer with a TTR225 and she just put some street tires on it and went...

5. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

This. I run the stock 19/16 wheels w/ BT-45's and have no problem keeping up with the guys on 17/17. The ones I have trouble keeping beating are the ones with built engines. The point of TTR racing (at least for me) is for the bike to slide and get out of shape, which helps me improve as a rider/racer.

Everyone knows it's best (on big bikes) to do suspension work first, and worry about engine power later... well I think I am going to go the opposite way on the TTR, leaving wheels/suspension stock and improve power, because I WANT it to get loose and continue to make me a better rider.

6. FEMotorsports

FEMotorsports Fast Eddys Motorsports

This is the best way to go :up:

We dumped way too much money into it and the XRs. Ohlins fork springs, Custom Ohlins shock, Slicks and rains, and lots of other stuff that didn't make it go any faster. It all came from the guy that used to build shocks at Ohlins, and now has his own company so it came pretty cheap.

Use street tires. There's little if any difference in performance

7. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

Was planning to run BT45s or similar; not interested in running slicks. Thinking I'd prefer to mount on a second set of wheels... I guess the main question I was getting at is there any retrofit wheels to look for? (e.g. retrofitting a XR/CRF 80 front to a XR/CRF 100)

All I'm planning to do performance-wise is add some stiffer springs front and rear (for better control off-road); maybe add a lower cradle to bolster the chassis.

8. prowannabe

prowannabe Member

hey guys I am looking to race my ttr-125 as well. What is the size for the bt45 tires for those rims? 19 front 16 rear

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

100/90 front and 110/90 or 100/90 for the rear depending on how wide it is. imo.

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

If you have a ttr make sure you check the rear spokes regularly for loosening. I was told this weekend by a guy that has run a ttr for a long time now (and he is very fast) that they come loose regularly.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

I can attest to that. My rear wheel broke on me while riding a few weeks back. Knee down...then ass over tea kettle time.

12. prowannabe

prowannabe Member

thanks guys, advice taken! one more thing can you mount the bt45's on the stock rims? I am just thinking about the tubes....

13. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Yep BT45's are the choice tire for stock rims, at least for the CRF/XR 100's. Tubes just go on like any other tire.

14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Yes you can mount them. Use lots of dish soap and just a little water to lube the bead. I know on the xr100 I have the bead didn't want to seat until I used a ton of soap.

15. prowannabe

prowannabe Member

good deal! thanks again guys