1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to sell my bike or are people just insane??

Discussion in 'General' started by gpz11, Oct 14, 2013.

1. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm trying to sell my Electra Glide, The wife isn't comfortable on it so she wants a Wing.

A guy comes over to check it out, takes it for a ride. I put it up on the lift so they can give a good once over.

Said he likes it but had a issue with the color of the logo on the tank. Kept saying something about it might have been a girls bike. WTF? Yes, Harley made a girls Electra Glide.

Anyway, he calls up the next day, and gives me the ol' story of having to change this and that, there was a spot of oil near the rear cylinder, change seat & pipes to something he likes, blah blah, blah.

I'm asking $6750 for this bike with only 25K miles.

He told me that trade in on it would be about $4500 so he'll offer $4200 for it.

I pretty much ended the phone call at that moment.

WTF is wrong with people these days??

I should have known something was up with him when he made the comment he's been looking for a bike for a few years now.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Everything you care to purchase is worth a fortune and everything you care to sell is worthless. People are douche-bubbles. :Poke:

3. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Buyers market.

So many people are hurting, there are deals to be had.

4. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Well, worst case, it gets put away in the trailer till spring time.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So if he knows you're wanting a different bike and you have the option of trading it in, WHY in the hell would he offer you less than trade in? What kind of a moron would think you'd spend the time, money, and effort of selling the bike yourself to lose money?

People are idiots.

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Not sure on what the value of your bike is but when I look at used bikes I'd say 90% of prices I see on Craigslist are way too high. For example: a 2005 GSXR 750 isn't worth $7000 (and the listig says firm on price). I don't care if diamonds shoot out the exhaust. The examples go on and on.

If the price is too high I don't even bother. Plus it's definitely the wrong season to sell.

7. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I'm just at the KBB retail value for my bike. It's priced less than the majority of the other ads for bikes with 3 times the mileage

8. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be shocked if that was the value of their debt on the bike lol

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I haven't shopped Harley's since the late 90's when I helped my best friend buy one. I guess they have finally come down, as I initially thought an electric glide for $6750 would be a great deal? I may have to buy myself a Harley again someday.

10. :stupid:

If you finance a bike for multiple years, you're likely to spend most of it upside-down on the loan.

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Douche bubbles, maybe, but that's how the selling/buying game is played.

This. At least somebody gets it.

Maybe the tire kicker isn't a total idiot. Maybe he's assuming the seller needs to unload it. Yes, he knows the trade in value - but he's gambling on the fact that the seller wants the cash, not go even MORE upside down on a newer, more expensive bike.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Nobody asked... but does it have a title? :D

$4200 trade in on a Harley?? Oh my how times have changed. Here i was thinking that even clean titled frames fetch that much let alone a complete running bike!

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It depends on the bike. The older, carbed bikes don't have the resale of the newer efi and 6speed stuff.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Still I think $4k-$6k for a Harley thats not a Sportster is very reasonable, no?

15. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Yes, it has a clean title in my name.

You can barely make out the White-Out.

:crackup:

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. I will keep something and let it rot or else just scrap it before I will give some lowball douchehole a good deal. Usually someone who isnt an asshole will eventually come along.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Right there you should had just told him to fuck off.

Hell had some rather dumbass people look at my dakota when I was selling it. Bitching about the paint (uh its a 13yr old 160K mile truck for $900 that needs some work). Those people are just looking for like new at junk prices. They are the same as the asshat up here on c/l trying to sell a 95 suburban for $15K. Dont care if its only got 40K miles, just means its been sitting unused alot and the seals around the vehicle probably need replacing.

Friends parents are the same way. Have a 30K mile 84 Transam 5.0 in the barn they wont sell for less than $5K. Never mind the paint is shot, hasnt been driven in 15 yrs, whole brake system needs replacing, more than likely the trans/rear/engine need rebuilding from sitting, who knows how the wiring is (mice?) and all new tires. They were gonna sell it to their son for $3K. Considering he CANT afford to fix it much less no clue how to do the work himself I kept telling him if he wants a T/Z, theres PLENTY of DRIVING ones out there for less. Hell he could get a newer one with a 5.7 for the same price. Nope, he wants THAT ONE because his parents wouldnt let him drive it because of "all the horsepower". Yep a whole 180hp. His current minivan has more. :crackup:

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'll give you $3800. Today only. Don't pass it up.

19. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Come on, no hookers or blow??

20. I'll give you $3700, a hook, and some blowers.