1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is a Winning Machine

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

You are missing something and his rallies don't bother me in the least. It's not like he's dropped what he was doing to campaign full time.
    For starters, he's gotten more done in 18 months than most get done in 2 terms. I honestly don't know when the dude sleeps.
    Next up, this midterm is critical to advancement of his agenda and he knows it. If he loses the house, Pelosi and her band of idiots will grind things to a halt.
    He is accomplishing what us "Trumpophiles" elected him to do. He has a lot more to accomplish, but he'll need congressional support to get it done. Unless he wants to go the anointed ones route and institute policies via executive order. I prefer it gets done legitimately through congress and becomes law.

Trump is Trumpophile approved.
    :flag:

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I appreciate all of the passion in the responses, but sorry...I ain't drinking the KoolAid.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not asking you to drink. You asked a question. It was answered.

sheepofblue and rd400racer like this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He is also working against a constantly hostile press, so he needs to be out there talking directly to people.
    When he uses Twitter or speaks at live events he is sure that what he says is what gets heard, not some reporter or editors interpretation of what he said.

5. rd400racer

And answered well.

Thank you

6. Spang308

It's tasty. It's fresh winning flavor. You should try some.
    Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Were you around for the Reagan years?

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford and Carter. :D

8. rd400racer

Fucker:crackup:

Yes, I've been around for a few years. Just for S's and G's, my voting record is as follows:

Anderson (don't ask)
    Reagan
    Bush
    Bush
    Clinton
    Gore
    Bush
    O
    O
    H

So you can see I've been all around the board. You want the biggest laugh...I worked on Mitch McConnell's first campaign back in the 80's. I grew up down the street from him and he's friends with my mom. Yes, your friendly neighborhood Democrat helped get the Sith Lord elected.

9. Spang308

I missed Kennedy and Johnson and was too young to remember Tricky Dick. Since you are a bit older, let me ask you this...when do you feel the train started coming off the tracks? From my reading and talking to those older than me, it seems Johnson was the beginning of the shitshow.
    Trump reminds me of Reagan's presidency. Stepped into a mess and righted the ship fairly quickly. Wasn't immediately popular among the public or his party, but earned their support as time wore on.
    He's what we needed at a time he was needed...whether you like him or not.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. rd400racer

I think the presidency was lost after Eisenhower myself. He predicted the Industrial Military Complex and was spot on. That led to everything else bad about politics. I could go on for pages but work is over at 3:30 and tonight is jam night so later gents:flag:

gixxerreese likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was 7 when Kennedy was assassinated. I remember seeing him campaign in Miami (vague blurry memory of a open black car on US1 which ran behind our house), and I remember Dad taking us to hear Dr. King speak a year or two before he was assassinated. I wouldn't disagree with Johnson being prominent in the drift left, but my dad pinned it on FDR.

IMHO, you cannot simply point to a person without noting the differences in the day to day life at the time. Until cable and 24/7 news outlets, most people were not all that riled up about politics in between the elections. That started changing in the 60s when we started seeing combat casualties piped into our living rooms. News was still essentially 3 networks and local news maybe 3 times a day. Talk radio wasn't really in the picture in a political sense until the late 80s or early 90s. People were not bombarded with huge amounts of information.

Cable news ratcheted up the volume while simultaneously increasing the noise to signal ratio. There were some bright moments such as the first gulf war and the scud studs, but then the talking heads became the show and it got to be ore about entertainment than news.

The internet and social media exponentially increase the amount of information out there, but still far more info than fact. Bottom line, I don't think it can be limited to individuals. In fact, the discord sown by the overabundance of information and commentary may well be a strategic effort on the part of parties outside the US.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Actually I remember a lot of people saying it was inappropriate. I was not a fan of hers and think first ladies should stay out of policy items (like school lunches) as they were not elected but it was still wrong for anyone to say those things about MO

13. In Your Corner

Just for comparison, in BO's first year in office (taken from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-first-year-by-the-numbers/).
    Note he averaged a political campaign appearance roughly every 10 days in his first year.

SPEECHES, COMMENTS & REMARKS: 411
    • Includes 52 addresses or statements specifically on his health care proposals.
    • He used a TelePrompTer at least 178 times. (Technically, it was 177½ . On July 13, 2009, one of the teleprompter screens on the left side of his lectern fell to the ground and broke shortly after he began speaking. So he was left with half a TelePrompTer.)

NEWS CONFERENCES: 42
    • Of which 5 were formal, solo White House Q&A sessions. Four were in prime time. His last one was July 22, 2009. (seen at left)
    • Nearly all of the other press availabilities were joint appearances with foreign leaders at which as few as 1 question was taken by Mr. Obama.
    • Predecessor George W. Bush did 21 news conferences his first year of which 4 were formal, solo White House sessions. Only 1 was in prime time.

INTERVIEWS: 158.
    • This is a striking number of interviews and far more than any of his recent predecessors in their first year. Ninety of the sessions were TV interviews. Eleven were radio. The rest were newspaper and magazine. The number reflects the White House media strategy that Mr. Obama can best respond to questions in an interview setting.

TOWN HALL MEETINGS: 23
    • Includes 1 in Strasbourg, France and another in Shanghai, China

DOMESTIC TRAVEL: 46 out-of-town trips to 58 cities and towns in 30 states
    • Most frequently visited state by Mr. Obama: New York* (excluding Maryland & Virginia, which border DC and to which visits are more local than out-of-town).
    • President George W. Bush made appearances in 39 states during his 1st year.
    • President Clinton visited 22 states in 1993, his first year.

FOREIGN TRAVEL: 10 foreign trips to 21 nations (4 of them twice).
    • Mr. Obama made more trips abroad in his first year than has any other U.S. President.
    • Next most frequent foreign traveler during first year in office was President George H.W. Bush: 7 trips to 14 countries.

FLIGHTS ON AIR FORCE ONE: 160

FLIGHTS ON MARINE ONE: 193

POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS: 28
    • The events raised at least $27.25 million. (3 of the events Mr. Obama attended declined to disclose how much was raised.
    • George W. Bush did 6 fundraisers his 1st year raising over $48 million.

CAMPAIGN RALLIES: 7
    • The rallies were for Gov. Jon Corzine, D-N.J., gubernatorial candidate Creigh Deeds, D-Va, and U.S. Senate Candidate Martha Coakley, D-Mass. All of them lost.

MEETINGS WITH FOREIGN LEADERS: 74 (several multiple times)
    • This counts meetings with chiefs of state or heads of government
    • George W. Bush met with 115 his first year (many more than once)

NATIONAL DEBT: On day Mr. Obama took office: $10.626 trillion
    • One year later: $12.319 trillion
    • Increase on Mr. Obama's watch: $1.693 trillion

BILL SIGNINGS: 124 of which Mr. Obama did 13 bill-signing ceremonies.

VISITS TO CAMP DAVID: 11 visits totaling all or part of 27 days.
    • George W. Bush made 26 visits his first year spanning all or part of 81 days

VETOES: 1
    • Mr. Obama's only veto to date killed a bill to keep Defense Dept operating in case Appropriations measure wasn't passed, which eventually it was.
    • George W. Bush – 0 vetoes in first year. In fact, he didn't cast his first veto until his 5th year in office.

PARDONS or COMMUTATIONS: 0*
    * Not counting 2 turkeys he pardoned at Thanksgiving.
    (A White House aide says first year presidents are inundated with pardon petitions and usually don't grant any until after "an extensive review process is conducted at the Justice Department.")
    • George W. Bush granted no executive clemency his first year either, except for turkeys.

VACATIONS: All or part of 26 days over 4 trips
    • George W. Bush spent 69 days at his Texas ranch over 9 trips to his ranch his 1st year.

GOLF: 29 rounds of golf
    • Most frequent courses: Fort Belvoir 11 times; Andrews AFB: 8 times.
    • George W. Bush played golf 7 times his first year.

OUT OF THE PUBLIC EYE: 21 days on which Mr. Obama did not have a public or press appearance.

14. sheepofblue

I think all recent presidents have abused the travel to do 'business' then campaign, Trump is not an exception. That said he is campaigning for his party candidates just as BO, B2 and Clinton did. I see no problem with that.

As to how much he is getting done..... there is always more but he has far exceeded what I figured he would do. So rock on President Trump.

Oh, so yes IMO you are missing a lot on this.

gixxerreese likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Plant a tree, a bush, or a shrub.
    Just say no.

16. In Your Corner

I'm just happy to have a First Lady who doesn't appear as though she could beat me arm wrestling.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

In on page 420.

o_O

18. sheepofblue

loser

19. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Any of you guy's businesses getting hit by the tariffs yet? One of the products I sell went up 10% effective 10-1 and will go up another 15% for a total of 25% 1-1-19. The good news is all my competitors are in the same boat but my customers are pretty pissed about it, another good point is I'll now get commissions on a sale that's 25% higher after jan 1st. As most of you know I'm no fan of the Mango Mussolini but but I don't really mind what he's doing re: China trade, it's been a long time coming.

sheepofblue likes this.
  20. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Our industry has on ductile iron fittings and stainless steel products. That still has not slowed a single thing down and I'm actually happy that prices are going up. Before the crash we would make anywhere from 25-35% profit on a project. After the crash everyone was so desperate for an order that prices dropped like a rock from the distributors and we never recovered. We're sitting in the 15-18% range now and I'm still not happy about it but at least it will be 15-18% off a higher cost.