1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Rotors

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Mar 23, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What’s a good aftermarket replacement for a 2016 Silverado. My work truck is due for brakes and the stock rotors have been warped since the very first hard stop.

2. Had good luck with Raybestos

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ditto. Should be able to pick them up off Amazon too.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Guys on GRM forum recommend Centric. I tried some on the rape van, garbage. Shit was warped in 3 months.

YMMV and all that.

5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I bought a kit from PowerStop for my 2013 F150, the rotors are drilled/ slotted so the look cool and work like a champ.
    15k miles on them so far with no complaints.
    PowerStop extreme Z36 kit (rotors & pads), the oems were garbage after 15-20k miles on my truck.

jksoft, FZ1guy, crashman and 2 others like this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

7. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

+1 on PowerStop, I put them on my Tundra, replaced stock warped junk. After brake in 10x better brakes than stock!

R1M370 likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

StopTech...

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Drilled, slotted rotors and hawk pads. Worked amazing on my tundra.

10. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Most likely pad transfer to rotor and not warped. I don't skimp on rotors and pads because otherwise you'll be replacing them soon enough and the cost per mile is ridiculously cheap.

You can get GM OE AC Delco rotors from Amazon, Rock Auto or online GM OE parts places like GMPartsDirect which are better quality than the standard aftermarket replacement stuff and cost less than dealer. Just be sure you're looking at the OE part number and not the aftermarket "advantage" or "professional" line.

I've run replacement GM OE rotors on my van with Hawk LTS pads forever and the pads are great if you don't mind some dust, which I don't. On the car I went with Dba 4k slotted rotors on the front and OE rear with Hawk HPS pads replacing Raybestos rotors and Akebono Pro-Act ceramic pads that I was never really happy with since one front rotor was causing a shimmy and the pads just didn't have a lot of bite.

K51000 and Rebel635 like this.
  11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Most of the time what feels like a warped rotor is uneven pad material that comes from a hard stop then sitting with the pad clamped to the rotor like at a light.

Go do hard stops until the brakes fade then drive for next 10 min without touching the brakes to reapply the pad material to the rotor.

K51000 likes this.
  12. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

13. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

Interesting

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

14. My wife does this all the time. She rides the brakes like crazy. Then comes to a light, etc. Comes home says the brakes are “vibrating”. Do some hard stops, etc and fixed. Cannot get her to change her driving style but oh well. She goes through brakes like mad which is going to suck on the the Q7.

15. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Power Slot rotors and Hawk LTS Pads

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I only use the Bosch rotors and ceramic pads from O’Reilly. Both have lifetime warranties, so when they act up, I just take them in and exchange them. I’m on my second set of rotors and pads from them.

I don’t believe GM put enough rotor on the Silverado. It only takes rapidly slowing on the expressway to warp most rotors, these days. The manufacturers are trying to shave weight everywhere possible, including the brake systems.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

And AGAIN as has been said, rotors rarely warp! I dunno

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Explain to me what happens when you’re on the expressway and one suddenly slows from 80mph to 30mph and the next brake application the brakes are pulsing and the steering wheel is shimmying and the truck didn’t do that prior. Explain what is happening when one puts a dial indicator to the rotor and there’s runout. What causes the runout, when chucking up a rotor in a lathe and there’s obvious, measured runout. Explain to me why a brake engineer would tell me it all comes from spec’ing too little mass for the BTU’s experienced, in the name of saving weight and money. Is he nuts?

19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Not on the 2500HD. My 2012 has 106k miles and I’m still on original brakes. Though, I’m due. I’ll replace with OEM.

ducnut likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Needs water cooling ;)