1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck opinions again....

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Aug 24, 2016.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Due to a drunk driver hitting my car while parked I have to replace my beloved 2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited. If Toyota had a diesel it would be a no brainer for me but they don't. They all tow enough, I am more worried about longevity. My Tundra had 160k on it and I would have kept it till 250k easy. Give me your opinions. I would have not thought the Nissan would have made the cut but it is one heck of a nice vehicle. Fords and Chevys need not apply, sorry.

Here are my options

2016 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 liter gasser.

2016 Ram 1500 Eco-diesel Laramie or Limited

2016 Nissan Titan XD diesel (cummins) Platinum reserve.

Thanks!

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

As a Ford and Ram dealer, stay away from the Eco-diesel. Since Ford need not apply, I can't help you with the others.

plustiano likes this.
  3. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Read up on the Nissan Cummings. I haven't read anything good about it yet.

4. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Im looking at the eco-diesel and have been trying to find reviews, either positive or negative....can you elaborate on why to stay away from them?

Thanks!

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the finishes on the Ford. Nothing in particular against them.

Not starting out good. Was hoping to go diesel but maybe gas will be better option.

plustiano likes this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Talk to the Bill Meister. He has a Ram 1500 diesel and loves it. I'd just get another Tundra and be done with it if I were you.

BigBird likes this.
  7. rcman

rcman Well-Known Member

I'm a tech at a Toyota dealer. Own a 11 crewmax. Wouldn't own anything else. Indestructible. We've put superchargers on a few. Nobody can blow them up. Got a customer that owns 4. One of them has 550000kms and still going.

BigBird likes this.
  8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Tundra. Just bought a second one. 260K on the first one. Zero problems.

kjohnson, Will9465 and BigBird like this.
  9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The eco-diesel. Take the worst [reliability wise] truck on the road, and put a fiat [read: Italian] engine in it. What could go wrong?!?!? Seriously amazes me that chrysler still finds buyers. Of the 3 options you listed, TOYOTA all the way.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Just got a 2015 Ram 2500HD with the Cummins Diesel with 28,000 miles on it, basically new. And I wish I had retired the 97 Dodge 1500 with a 318 in it last year!! This thing is nice even though it is just the tradesman package. I'm getting 22mpg and pulling the 18foot toy hauler it is getting 12mpg. But it doesn't even strain pulling the hauler, just the mileage drops off. I am pulling it 70-75 mph, so that may have something to do with it. LOL....I own a NAPA auto parts store and so far have heard nothing good about the EcoDiesels and pulling.

prospected likes this.
  11. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Out of your list I'd pull the trigger on the Titans with the Cummins in a heartbeat. Buy new and pitch in a little extra for an extended bumper to bumper warranty and just drive it. Looks great and will tow like a dream. I've never had a Titan but have always have good experience with the Nissan product, currently on my 2nd Infiniti.

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie srw with the Cummins, they know how to build a diesel engine and I have zero issues with the added "hassle" of adding def. The Cummins gets better mpgs than what I was getting in the Tacoma with that old and tired 4.0l v6 gas turd. Just to add a little more perspective IIRC the Tacoma could tow 4,600 lbs (under 5k lbs for sure) and the Ram tows almost 18k lbs on the bumper hitch.

12. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I'd drive them all, multiple times, to get an idea of what you want. I spent 3 months, and countless test drives, before settling on the F150. The Tundra just feels outdated and gets terrible MPGs. The Ram feels dated on the outside (inside was nice), the Chevy interior was "meh", and the Titan only came in the Diesel when I made my purchase and they weren't budging from sticker. The F150 had the most creature-comforts and tech, the 3.5 Eco is a beast, and the fit-and-finish was nice. It ticked all of the boxes for me.

The Tundra did come in 2nd but is due for some changes. I know it got a face-lift recently but the powertrain is still the same. And the interior needs some love.

13. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

tundra all the way

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Since your focus is on longevity, Tundra. My 2010 Sequoia has been fantastic.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chrysler Town and Country

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Condolences on the loss of your truck.

17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

:stupid: I'm a Powerstroke fanboy but this guy is right. You can find a nicely trimmed out overstock Ram 2500 Crew Cab with the real man's Cummins for the same price of the trucks you listed.

18. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Never buy a first year truck, so I would stay away from the Cummins powered Nissan. If you liked your Tundra, why not get another one.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

New ecodiesel owner here. Love it.

Bought used with 2 remaining years warranty and added another 5 y carmax warranty.

Got the GDE Ecu installed.

Yes, it's a fiat engine, but guess what? That engine has been running in the Ducato (sprinter equivalent) in Europe for years. And they get beaten there.

Got 25mpg doing 85/90 to the ATL airport and back, 22 around town with a happy foot and 14 towing the loaded camper, as if it wasn't there. (A little more there as on a 2500 I bet though)

Only have the big horn trim, but that's nice enough for a farmer like me.

Go test ride one!

TLR67 likes this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I Just don't need that much truck. Plus I'd have to get a step ladder for the Mrs. to get in or out.

Thanks. Geico, who is the driver's insurance are being twits! They won't even offer going price for my Tundra. I provided them with an appraisal from the servicing dealer and every comparable comp within 100 miles. Looks like I am going to have to get an attorney involved. The insurance adjuster keeps pushing me to "get your personal items out of the car" so they can remove it from the body shops storage lot and stop paying the daily storage fee. I told him that until he pays me that is my car and don't touch it. Funny thing I use them for motorcycle insurance (8 bikes full coverage) and if this is the way they treat people I am probably going to switch insurers.

Exactly my only problem with the Tundra. Having drove one for the last 6 years I guess maybe I'm getting bored with it and the Nissan has some really cool features (toys). Maybe I just need to go sit in a new Toyota and get that new car smell?