1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trip to Nashville - What to do/see

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Gents (using that term loosely),

Thinking about heading to Nashville in October for a long weekend getaway and wanted some input on what to do/see while there. We're definitely planning a trip to Antique Archaeology (the American Pickers place) and a few distilleries on Clinton Street. But outside of that, we're pretty wide open. Thoughts on other outings, hikes, etc. Any suggestions on where to stay or stay away from? We're NOT interested in seeing any country music venues or shows or going to theme parks.

Dart, you still live there, right?

2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

History everywhere. Good food. Good music. Natchez Trace. Loveless Cafe. Nashville's Parthenon.
    Walk the streets and enjoy the music around the Cumberland river/downtown.
    The Grand Ole Opry Hotel atrium has over 20000 different types of plants. Flora with a sprinkling of fauna.
    Kids and Grand kids (YMMV!)
    Don't knock or dismiss any music until you have listened to it.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

3. Plan to spend a lot of money for a mediocre hotel room if you choose to stay downtown. Nashville is nearly up there with NYC for room prices, but the quality is generally lower.

The Airport Marriott is decent, and can be booked for fairly decent rates. It's close enough to downtown for quick Uber rides. Don't take taxis.

Go to the Patterson House for cocktails, and drink a Corpse Reviver, or the best Old Fashioned you'll ever taste. You'll hate me later :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

SoulShine Pizza for live music jam on Sunday night.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Lane Motor Museum

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

There's only one thing to do in Nashville...see a Predators game. Other than that, drink.

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

If you have time take a ride to the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg.

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Have Parrish take you to the Rusty Nail!

V5 Racer likes this.
  9. No. Just no. I went there once because it was close to where I lived.

No. No. No.

t11ravis likes this.
  10. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Ha ha.
    The life sized beer pong cracked me up.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Home games for October:
    10/10 Philadelphia Flyers
    10/12 Dallas Stars
    10/17 Colorado Avalanche
    10/24 Calgary Flames
    10/28 New York Islanders
    All games @Bridestone Arena. Helluva venue. Have fun.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, you could just punch Dart in the stomach and then leave. That wouldn't suck.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  13. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Sky Blue Cafe
    700 Fatherland St ·(615) 770-7097

Counrty music hall of fame was killer.....

Jack Daniels plant tour if you can drive well worth the ride.....

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Check out Hattie B's for their Famous Hot Chicken.....

15. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

If you want to go to nice dinners make reservations now.
    Patterson House for a great cocktail and people watching. Go before 6 or you'll wait 30 mins to get in.
    Hattie B's for the chicken is worth it.
    Pancake Pantry for breakfast, but be prepared to wait an hour.
    As someone else said, even if you don't like the music I think it's worth a few drinks on Broadway to see what it's all about. Legend's Corner, Tootsie's, Honky Tonk Central. Or anywhere in between.

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Plan to stay at Antique Archaeology for about 15 minutes. The building it's in is cooler than the store.

Rolf and daughters, City House, 5th and Taylor, 312 pizza are all over in Germantown by the sounds stadium. Cool little area and those are really good restaurants. Need reservations except 312

Radnor Lake is a nice walk/"hike" and it's close to town . You will see a bunch of deer and can get like 5 ft away from them

Roberts is a bar downtown that plays older country. It's great if you want to see some talented guys that aren't just playing modern stuff. Roberts, Honky Tonk central, the stage will all have good players. Paradise park is my favorite if I'm downtown because it's trashy as hell and they have $6 natty pitchers you can drink straight out of and the floor is astro turf.

LA Jackson is a rooftop bar that is classier with a great view of the city. Business people in the afternoon then rich girls after dark.Great place for pre dinner drinks then Uber to anywhere or walk to Saint Anejo (Fancy margaritas and Mexican), MOTO( Italian), Virago (sushi), Kayne Prime (steak)

Martins BBQ downtown has an awesome beer garden type set up and great BBQ

Music row is BS these days. Most of the companies aren't there anymore.

I'm getting married the OCT 28th and there are hotels that are completely booked up all week. Any hotel on west end is good location or downtown. Stuff by the airport is kinda meh and you are kinda out of the city feel.

UBER is your friend. This town is perfect for uber riders.. not so much drivers because it is so cheap to get anywhere.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You can sit in traffic and wait in line, its awesome...

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

traffic here is nothing compared to any real city. It's getting there and will be bad but If you are sitting in traffic you are doing it wrong. Plenty of side routes

Lawn Dart and minman26 like this.
  19. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

If you're into it, the National Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, KY, about 75-minutes from Nashville.

20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Hey man! Yeah, c'mon down...

I'm gonna echo a few things others have already said. People come to Nashville for basically 3 things these days: Eat. Drink. Music. So, most of my recommendations are around that.

1. Martins BBQ downtown is good, and the upstairs is neat when the weather is good (it's mostly outside).

2. Hattie B's isn't the "best" hot chicken (subjective - don't get me wrong, it is still very good), but they are probably the most marketable. And it is pretty tasty/unique. If you've tried hot chicken outside Nashville, then you haven't had hot chicken. They have multiple locations. I'm gonna be honest, I'm partial to the one on Charlotte Pike (west side of town).

3. I'm not big on the Antique Archaeology place. It is pretty small. But, definitely visit Lane Motor Museum if you have time. Its not yellow Ferraris and Bugattis, but they are exotic. They have some weird cars you don't usually see other places.

4. I'm a big fan of a restaurant downtown called The Southern. Its not dressy (not much in Nashville is), but the food is excellent and the place itself is very cool.

5. If you want low key for a bit, and you want to walk, go visit the Opryland Hotel and walk around inside. It sounds cheesy, but if you've never been, the place is massive, with three big indoor atriums full of trees, waterfalls, and a riverboat.

6. Visit downtown Franklin. Franklin is a few miles south of Nashville and site of a pivotal battle in the Civil War. The town has been revamped, so it has a Mayberry feel, but the shops and restaurants are new. You can walk around the town square, visit the shops, etc. The whole town is a decent historic site. There's at least one church down there that's pre-Civil War, still standing and still used. It was a hospital for Confederate and Union soldiers during the war too. Also, a lot of the homes in town are still standing from that period as well.

Anywhere you go, be prepared to wait. Yeah, there's places with reservations, but even those people wait.

Nashville doesn't have a theme park anymore, and its all but impossible to get away from country music, but it doesn't mean you won't have a good time. The town is split up into sections. For tourist stuff, you have a couple of options.

• The Gulch (Steak Travis mentioned LA Jackson, Yazoo Brewery and another good BBQ place called "Peg Leg Porker" is over there). The Gulch is rich transplant territory.
    • Then you have "SoBro" (South of Broadway - cringey South Park parody naming), which is where you'll find Martin's BBQ downtown, the Omni hotel (Barlines is in there - neat bar with tons of screens and live music), and a couple of other places.
    • Broadway is the main road downtown, and where you generally see all the lights. Take a night to bar hop. Hit up the roof of the Westin (L27 Rooftop Bar) and Acme Feed and Seed while you're in that part of downtown.
    • Germantown is sort of north of downtown - 312 Pizza, Monell's, and Butchertown Hall.
    There's not really any area I'd stay away from if you're going with these recommendations. East Nashville might be the only area where things could get sketchy. It's being gentrified, so you have really nice new tall & skinny homes right next to projects.

You still have my number? Text me anytime. Let me know when you're coming or if you're looking for something specific and I'll help.