1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transponders for WERA regional races?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Billy B, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Hey all, I'm looking to do a few regional WERA races this year and don't have any idea about the transponders. I'm guessing they're required, but are they always available for rent at the regional events? If so, how much $ to rent for a weekend? I also see them for sale but I doubt I'll do enough weekends to justify buying one. Thanks for the info.

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

They are always required, as you assumed. They are always available to rent as well, just add it when you're at registration. I did it for years before finally buying my own. Don't forget to return it at the end of the weekend!

According to the website, it's $60 for the weekend for a rental. Are you a new racer? Provisional novices get a couple of rentals for free.

3. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Thanks for the info. Yeah I can see loading the bike and heading home with no thought to turning the transponder back in!

I'm not sure if I'm a new racer or not... I raced a fair amount with WERA back in the 90s but haven't roadraced since then. I've done a few track days here and there and finally want to do a few race weekends this year. I suppose being out of racing that long means I'll need to go through the drill like I'm a new racer, regardless of the fact that I know the flags and will be running decent lap times for a novice anyways. Or is anyone aware of some sort of way to skip the whole provisional novice thing? If not, I guess this is another chance to get out of being a provisional novice without 'customizing' my new-racer t-shirt by crashing in it, which I failed miserably at back in 1991 or whenever it was!
    Thanks again.

mpusch likes this.
  4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a @Mongo question. If he doesn't see this in the next day or two send him a message at [email protected].

5. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yeah I figured that's a question for Sean. I was going to PM him but didn't see a link to do so, which is a good move on his part or else he'd be answering PMs all day every day. I'll see what he says.

DmanSlam and mpusch like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, the upside to doing the school and PN thing is a free transponder rental while you're a PN.

How long as it been since your last track day?

7. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Mongo, I did 2 STT track days at Grattan last year. I think the last one was in August. Thanks

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You know what it's like to race so we'll leave it up to you if you're good without the school since you've been on track.

9. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yeah thanks. I raced quite a bit over 5 years in the 90s and definitely don't need help understanding how races go. And yes I'm old and slower than I used to be, but I know how to hold a line and won't be getting in anyone's way. Thanks for the flexibility Sean. When I sign up for the first race, do I just say "Sean said I don't need no steenking school"? I guess I could just bring this page up and show them...

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably easiest to handle the license ahead of time but essentially just tell them you're renewing your license, it's been a bit but you've still been riding.

11. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Perfect thanks