1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer storage outside.

Discussion in 'General' started by Timothy Landon, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

I just bought a Kendon Single Stand Up trailer. I have to store it outside in South Florida. Would it be beneficial to cover it with a tarp? Or just leave it exposed?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well being that it is SFL and there is plenty of moisture around, I would think covering something metal up would tend to hold the moisture under the cover, so any bare metal will rust.

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

4. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Would it be beneficial to spray it down in WD40?

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Keep those tires out of the sun if possible

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd prolly stand it on pallets, blocks or anything else that can support it while allowing air to circulate and keep it from direct contact with the ground.
    A tarp, aside from providing covered protection from the elements, would also provide cover from prying eyes.

7. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

You definitely need that cover. I bought a used Kendon a while back, the Po kept it outside and it had rust in a few spots (had to have it welded) so I would cover that if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I think spraying it down with a can of silicon spray may be better and longer lasting.

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I would go WD40 white lithium grease. It'll adhere better to critical parts.

10. It’s a standup trailer. When stood up it sits on 4 casters. Nothing else touches the ground.

OP, as a long-time Kendon owner (had mine for 16 years), my experience is that likely rust points are weld points and areas where the enamel can be worn by repeated contact with tie-down hooks, hitch connection, and other metal on metal abrasion. If the trailer is regularly exposed to rain or condensation, areas where water can accumulate will corrode.

Wipe it down after it gets wet, let it dry thoroughly, make sure to touch up wear areas so that bare metal isn’t exposed, and keep it covered such that air can circulate. A water-resistant breathable cover will be much better than a plasticized tarp.

11. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

If you need a breathable cover find a cheap waterproof boat cover that's long enough to cover both sides. WD-40 & the boat cover together would keep it looking good for a long time.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Spray it with fluidfilm or boshield

13. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I use the Kenton cover on mine.