1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer security/surveillance

Discussion in 'General' started by notasquid, Dec 14, 2016.

1. notasquid

notasquid Well-Known Member

Decided to go with an enclosed 6x12 trailer. Everybody has warned me that owning an enclosed trailer makes you a target for bike theft. Interested in hearing what you folks do to combat the problem. Especially interested in hearing what camera options or alerts you use.

TIA

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Park mine in a garage with a security system. If you have an alarm system at your house you could probably get a wireless sensor to put on the doors.,

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I empty my trailer after each use. Won't take the chance. When I was landscaping, we had our 24 ft enclosed broken into. They took every weedwhacker, blower, tools, and a walk behind mower. It was locked in a fenced in yard with video surveillance. The scum was never caught.

V5 Racer likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This...... At least Tools and Bikes.... Even with security cameras in the storage spot I'm using its just not worth the trouble.... If my trailer is not at the storage its at the track....No Hotel lots here....

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Insure it & empty it when not in use. Though a friend of mine has a Nest camera at his house to observe his dogs. Need 120v power & wifi for that though.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I added a hasp and padlock to my trailer man-door and use the totally enclosed locks on the ramp door. Only way in when locked up is with a grinder...Oops, don't want to give the thieves any ideas.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I put LoJack on mine.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These have made hasps and locks just about useless as protection.

TLR67 likes this.
  9. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

they cut the latch with bolt cutters. not the lock.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Man you guys must live in the hood. :D

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

No we don't...... the Hood is just Mobile....

MELK-MAN, BigBird and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I use the masterlock pro series lock that is totally encapsulated...still can be defeated but would take some time. The hasp is the weak point as it's just plate steel. Where there's a will, there's a way...Thieves suck!

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I use the Trimax THP XL so basically the same thing. They don't mess with the lock they just cut the hasp or arms. The building in front of us had a shipping container broken into this way last weekend. Cop told us it takes a bout 15 sec with a cut off wheel. The video from my security camera showed him to be correct almost to the second. Too bad my cameras were too far away to make out any real detail.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yeah and for most trailers, if you get the doors secure enough, they will just come in through the wall itself. They are just made of aluminum and a bit of plywood or luan. They probably won't get a bike out that way, but pretty much anything else in there of value will be gone. My trailer is right under my bedroom window, so I would hear power tools being used to cut a lock, hasp, or wall. That is unless someone has come up with a way to make a cutting wheel contacting steel a lot quieter than when I have done it.

Also get a good lock for the tongue or if in a particularly bad area, put a boot or other device on a trailer wheel as well because they could always take the whole trailer and mess with opening it up later.

15. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Yep, I also have a good pin lock, and I lower my trailer all the way down, then wrap my chains around the handle and place padlock through chains. That way you can't even turn to raise/lower, and the chains are tightly wrapped so they can't be used to tow the trailer away.

Making it as difficult as possible will likely send them away to something easier.

TLR67 likes this.
  16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

3 foot screwdriver and it (or whatever it's attached to) is coming right off.

My trailers are emptied after use, they are parked behind a vehicle that would need to be moved to take the trailer.

TLR67 likes this.
  17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Yep, I also empty my trailer, and also park whichever vehicle I'm not driving in front of the trailer.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

The hitch bolts on usually. Impact driver and ratchet defeats a hitch lock pretty easy. Remove existing with lock attached, replace with desired, drive off.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Only if you have bike stickers advertising your interests. Otherwise, it's indiscriminate theft, you just happened to lose a bike.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Yeah, I spent $200 on a tongue lock but these bolts will be easy work for the cordless impact

IMG_1059.JPG