1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Cover

Discussion in 'General' started by RonR, Jul 13, 2020.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Anybody using them? Are they a huge pain to put on? I keep my trailer indoors in the winter but when it’s out for the season I was thinking it might be worth covering. And if I can’t keep it indoors next winter I’ll definitely want to cover it.
    Thanks

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Any particular size trailer?

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

8.5 x 16 Vnose

4. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

A cover used outside might be prone to flapping and wearing the paint off of the trailer.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Right...much better to scrub the paint off cleaning shit off the trailer from sitting outside. :D

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have an Adco cover for our 30' camper, $300+, the material is like that of a nice, outdoor car cover. Upper corners got torn by the rain gutters and the bottom got torn at the corners and lower edge of the slideout. The scissor jacks also poked holes. Otherwise, the cover is soft, breathable and has multiple straps for a secure fit...it doesn't flap. The trailer was immaculately cleaned before being parked outside, 2 car widths away from the garage and half under trees. The cover has been on for years of Pennsylvania weather...the trailer still looks good. Not to mention the holes, the cover looks like shit with moss having grown all over it.

Wanting to "hide" my silver 7x14 slant v-nose, I recently went to Harbor Freight and bought a medium duty, camo/green, 19x29 tarp for less than $40. The tarp won't completely cover the box, leaving about 8" exposed all around the bottom. I haven't installed it yet, but I figure on securing it well in an effort to limit any buffeting. The tarp has aluminum grommets every 3 feet and a rope sewn into the hem. I'm also gonna tape some foam to the upper corners of the trailer.
    $40, some para-cord and a bit of climbing around on a ladder to tape the foam? Yeah, I think it'll be worth it...after I pressure wash the trailer.
    If the tarp rubs paint, it's an aluminum trailer. What could go wrong? :D
    Well, condensation could go wrong. I'm gonna put some milkcrates on the roof for breathing room and leave the vent open a bit. The crates will get some foam, too. ;)

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i use a cover on my 30' toyhauler. it was 400 bucks, but its "pretty" close to a perfect fit. straps hold it on, it breathes, and from what im told, i can probably get about 3 years out of it before the sun kills it. it adds about 45 minutes to my hookup/drop off routine, to roll it up neatly and then unroll it/secure it, but my trailer looks great and isnt all sun faded and more importantly the seals all look still in good shape and not dryed/weather from baking in the california sun.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've seen quite a few trailer roofs get mildew damaged from tarps that don't allow air underneath. My son in law uses styrofoam cooler bottoms turned up side down as stand-offs on the roof. This allows a generous 6" of air space under his harbor freight tarp. 5 years so far and everything still looks good.