1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Brands? Where to buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt H, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

OK. My open/folding trailer is officially sold and gone. So now I need to get my act in gear and buy something so I can get my bike around. I've been rather unlucky finding what I'm looking for used, but I'm a bit constrained in what I can get. I'm looking for a 5x10 plus v-nose, ramp door, and side door. I plan on building out everything inside myself (as that appears to be much more cost effective).
    So what trailer brands are out there? I did some looking around and found the following, but was wondering if anyone had any other ones that I'm not thinking of/finding. Any other recommendations of things to avoid or make sure I get, feel free to guide me! Thanks in advance.

Pace
    American Hauler
    Worthington
    Homesteader
    Car-Mate
    Cargo-Mate
    Haulmark

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Talk to Lance, that's his name on here. He takes good care of people.

Out of all the trailers I've had, the only trailer I really didn't like was a base model Homesteader. It looked liek it wa sgood untill I started using it. It used wood for the wall studs instead of metal studs. That makes a big diffewrence in how long they live and last. I had a tire rack that made it stronger, but if I hadn't it wouldn't have lasted.

I spent two weeks and replacing parts before I could sell it.

Also, look into torsion suspension. It is worth it if you can afford it. It makes the trailer ride better than the leaf springs. They may not come on the smaller trailers, but I wouldn't buy a 16' or bigger with leaf springs.

Insulate it before you load it. do the roof, walls and doors. It will help this summer. Even if you don't have a a/c it's nice to keep the trailer from getting 1200+f

3. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Lowes/Home Depot 6x12' enclosed: holds 4 dirt bikes and gear: 3 roadrace bikes comfortably, easy tow, bought for under $2600 new 6 years ago--think they are still under $3000. makes me feel slightly extravagant though compared to Ted Cobb slinging his motard across the back of his minivan!

4. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

As I stated, I am constrained so it has to be a 5x10 vnose (that's the largest I can fit in my garage, which is where it has to go since my HOA doesn't allow trailers outside. This is why I appear to need to find one new, and am wondering who else to call. I plan on calling all and seeing what there prices are. And again, I'm open to any suggestions on what to get avoid cost effectively (e.g. I've heard about wall post spacing, axles, wheel sizes, plywood v luan, etc.).

5. bambam454

bambam454 Well-Known Member

something else to consider since you want to put it in the garage... how tall is your door opening? that might play a bigger part in what you end up with than you think. try hillwood trailer sales in gainesville va. they have decent prices and a good selection. not too far from rockville either.

6. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

if you want quality, you cant beat haulmark imo....

7. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Hear you on the garage opening - that's one of the reason I'm looking at the 5x10 - they appear to be available at the standard 5x8 height (less than 80" overall height), which is what I need.

I'll look up Hillwood - thanks!

8. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Haulmark's definitely on my list to look at. Any of those on my list that anyone would recommend staying away from? Any of them on the same level as Haulmark? I've heard that Worthington's are built well and are light - is that true?

9. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

You should investigate how/where a trailer brand gets serviced, either by the manufacture and/or a local shop. They will need service eventually, either through wear or modifications you may desire. Getting a cheaper trailer that you have to take to the next state may not be a value over a not so cheap trailer you have serviced in the next town. :confused: Just a heads-up.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Trailer Brands

I have a Worthington, 3 rail open trailer....It's all Aluminum and very light, pulls like a dream. It's build quality is top notch but, being Aluminum, it is also more expensive. Depending on what you got to pull it with, I would recomend them.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

If you are interested in a light weight aluminum trailer you should check these guys out. They make some of the best aluminum trailers I've ever seen and for a great price. I went to take a look at them when my employer was looking for a new equipment trailer. Would have used them but they didn't have there heavy duty trailer design built yet even though there others are way over built.

http://nhtrailers.com/

12. gqnugget

gqnugget Well-Known Member

Worthington trailers

The Worthington brand is excellent and you can get one made to your exact specs if you want or go with one that they already show as a model. I've even seen them do some with living quarters, etc. already fabricated. Plus they are aluminum and use standard brakes/axles/hubs/etc. found at alot of truck/trailer stores.

13. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Are there any Trailer “Manufactures” near the DC area? 300 mile radius.
    Also do trailer manufactures sell to the public? Or dealers only?
    I need a semi custom trailer made to fit my Drive way with Deck over head.
    I am currently talking to a Dealer in Georgia and his manufacture suggested that I get a 5x10 V-nose and mix and match the construction parts with a 6x10 and 6x12 to get the size I want.
    He didn’t tell me the manufacture, but they claim to be able to put something together within my specs.
    The space I have available to park it is
    195 inches long
    88 inches wide
    87 inches tall
    And I want 72 inches interior. Im sure they will have to use 4 to 6 inch Dexter drop Axles.

The space is pretty tight...

it will go on the right hand side.

[​IMG]

the underside of the deck is the issue....

[​IMG]

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

R&R's are great trailers. We got an aluminum one last year and it's extremely nice.

Rich Cronrath (from Pirelli) also started selling trailers recently. Feel free to PM me for any info on either option.

15. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Wow - blast from the past with this thread Moe! As I have learned since this post, get the largest trailer you can fit. I ended up getting something used in the end. Sorry that I can't help more with a dealer in our area.

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

17. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

You will not be able to find a lighter and better quality built 5x10 V-nose
    than the Thule Cargo Pro IMHO. They also have the similar sizes- 6x10, 6.5x13 etc.
    Yes, it is expensive but you get what you pay for. From mpgs to no rust for life
    it is a great invetestment.

18. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Gold rush. Hands down the lightest, and best quality....they can also custom build you a trailor.

19. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

I had no idea Rich sold trailers. I talk to him all the time (maybe too much lol)
    I will email him now.

So true on size. i originaly was going to get a totaly custom 5x8 made. I found out it was cheaper to try and get the three sizes i mentioned combined somewhat bassed on a 6x10 with 5x8 width. So i want to just have enuff space to park it. This will allow me to hit more races and multiday TD's since i will also sleep inside of it. City living is hard on us. Not alot of space to park stuff. Oh and Im a Thread natzi. i hate to create a new thread if something simular is out there. I noticed this was 2007, but the info was good inside.

Ill have to look up "expensive :D "

thanks also...
    going to look them up .
    http://www.goldrushinc.com/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  20. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Middelbury makes a decent trailer at a good price. I bought my v-nose 6x12 with ramp door around $2600 three years ago.