1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Prepping a Buell 1125R

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Eaton_corners, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Eaton_corners

Eaton_corners Active Member

I have seen a couple of threads with questions about preparing a bike for track days and/or racing. Since I am planning to race my Buell 1125R in WERA, I am trying to find as much information as possible. I am fairly new to the track so I have a lot to learn before I race. Someone in another thread expressed interest in following my progress in prepping a Buell because of the scarcity of aftermarket parts. Also, I will be looking for ways to keep my budget as low as possible so, there are some things that may be available that I will not use but I will include for information. I would also ask anyone who can offer helpful information to please post here.

After reading the online rulebook, I have determined that there are only two items that I will have to buy to make my bike legal to race; a steering damper, and a belly pan. Tie wire and lens removal are relatively cost free. There are some other pieces that I will want but, I will list those as they become more important.
    I am planning to buy the belly pan from Erik Buell Racing. The price is $179.00 without brackets, which I will have to build myself. I DO HAVE A QUESTION about the rules. The rules do not specifically state that an absorbent is required in the belly pan. Is this required, and where can I get it?

2. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

GPR is the fastest, easiest install steering damper you can buy. No absorbant material is needed in the belly pan. Be aware, there are 2 different style pans, 1 for a stock muffler and 1 for a race muffler. The stock muffler weighs a TON. Replace it if you can. Other near mandatory changes would be race springs and race brake pads. IF you need any help PM me or Smoke. There are also several other Buell racers lurking on here.

Good luck!:beer:

3. I have seen a couple of threads with questions about preparing a bike for track days and/or racing. Since I am planning to race my Buell 1125R in WERA, I am trying to find as much information as possible. I am fairly new to the track so I have a lot to learn before I race But it will be really amazing and exciting race for ever. It will be really fantastic.

4. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the Buell. Its an awesome bike for the track. Get rid of the stock muffler, clip ons, rearsets. Look on. Buellxb.com or badweatherbikers for used 1125 race parts. I wish I would of bought the R instead of the CR so I could race it!

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

full exhaust system, or just a new muffler?

I would have thought putting money into seat time and tires would go further than shaving weight from the muffler; especially for someone who describes himself as "relatively new to the track."

6. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Slip on muffler will work. Suspension upgrades will get you the most bang for your buck. Race brake pads are way better than stockers. Ref to replacing rearsets/pegs, just remember the stock pegs were designed to break before damaging the rear sets.

7. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of a belly pan mounting option...
    Right Side
    0_0-2.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

8. KNickers

Left side
    0_0.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

9. Eaton_corners

Thanks for the input.
    KNickers, the pictures will be a big help.
    For now, I will have to make do with stock pegs or come up with something self made. Rearsets for the 1125 are either very expensive(over 700 dollars) or they are only available with the chain conversion swingarm. Hopefully by the time I am in need, I can afford some. Also, until I get mandatory modifications paid for, I will have to stick with the stock muffler.
    On the subject of springs; I had my suspension set at a track day last year and the technician said my spring rates were pretty good for me, but he did suggest a new rear shock. I recently switched from EBC Extreme Pro brake pads to EBC HH pads because I thought they would be better for street riding. I will be changing back to Extreme Pros whether I ride on the street again or not. Thanks again for all the help, and I hope to see ya'll at the track soon.

10. KNickers

Not sure why you'd need rearsets if you're going to run the stock belt as the stock peg location does not present a ground clearance issue on this bike. If you're looking to solid mount the pegs rather than have folding ones, I recall seeing some where the peg mounting tabs were machined off so a standard peg could be bolted to the stock bracket. If rearsets are $700 I'd keep saving my money for the chain conversion.

Shameless plug...
    If you're looking for a shock, I've got one for sale...
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=257791&highlight=racetech+1125

Kurt

11. Eaton_corners

Can't afford a shock yet and yes, I plan to run the belt for now. I will just have to use stock pegs until something breaks or causes problems.

12. redBuell1125

redBuell1125 Member

I am racing my Cr next year (limited schedule due to $$) but here's what I've learned after doing a bunch of track days on my Cr. First off, it kicks ass! The BIKE is fast, I'm not...yet.
    I invested in frame pucks, EBR carbon fiber engine guards, and fork sliders. After running most of the season, I upgraded to the EBR 5 mil race rotor and the better pads(not the best they have , the $150 ones). The brakes are much better.
    I know I have body position issues to clear up but I DID rub a hole in my boot from dragging my foot which wasnt cool. I just got some adjustable footpegs(Cycle Pirate , about $130) and the riding position feels way better(to me anyway) with the pegs raised an inch or so.
    I just got some race plastics and I'm waiting on an exhaust. Once I get the exhaust mounted I'll start the process of getting the bodywork to work on my CR. I love my bike, but kinda wish I got an R...but I didnt know I was going to be racing...the CR did that to me lol.
    Good luck, if ya ever get to NJ, I'll be at NJMP probably 30-40 times this year, lets ride!