1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track days at NJMP

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Andrew24m, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

Hello all,
    I put this this list because i'm trying to figure out the cost of doing track days on a consistent basis. Then eventually actually racing. How far off am I what am I missing?

*Track bike $2500-$5000
    *Tires $600-1200 per season (slicks)
    *fuel cost $500 per season
    *Motorcycle maintenance $1200 per season
    *Track day $250 (How many Saturday and/or Sunday track days are there in a season?)
    *Hitch MC hauler used $150-350
    *Gloves $75-$225
    *Helmet $400-1200
    *One piece racing suit $600-$1800
    *Classes/personal coach $100-250 per Hr
    *Racing license test $125

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on the gear poke around on STG for clearance or sale items and you can probably score everything for a grand shipped. If you want an airbag suit probably double that just for the suit. This assumes youve reviewed fit charts and know your size. I would recommend 2 sets of gloves, some quality wool socks, and a good base layer to get the best comfort.
    As for equipment and promimity to NJMP... look at minis to start. They have a really good series and riders that can give you direction to take your riding. Plus there are other mini orgs within a 5hr drive of NJ you can ride with.
    Money and risk wise its a low dough expenditure. Also the minis will give you some basic bike prep & maintenance experience.
    You can take a Champions school on their bike and practice the skills at your leisure.
    So gear, school... then figure out what kind of bike you want.

3. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

I have considered this as an option but honestly not interested in the minis.

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You're asking very open ended questions with no real basis on the level you're trying to achieve. You can spend as much or as little as you want, what I deem as "necessary", others might not. We don't know what tracks you want to ride, where you're located, or what "consistent" is to you. Are we doing track days on a Gen 1 SV650 with street tires? Or trying to win the 600 super stock Novice race?

Not to mention, you could crash in the first day, wad your shit up, and all of this planning for expenses goes out the window.

The only thing I would say as a universal truth applicable to anyone is to come up with a monthly budget that YOU are comfortable spending - then adjust your track day/racing frequency as dictated by that figure.

Newyork and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

I was looking for some input from someone that has been in my situation and had a start up cost figured out already and maybe the routes they chose. I would not have made the post if I had these things figured out.

I would like to get an 08+ R6
    In my original post I mentioned slicks.
    The track would be NJMP like the title states.
    For me a consistence basis would be every weekend possible the schedule is unclear. Saturday or Sunday.
    I understand wrecking would obviously add to the bottom dollar.

6. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Your list seems about reasonable. The $1200 maintenance is enough to cover repair for a couple minor low-sides, if you stick to functional fixes and just patch over the cosmetic.

Unless you're local and showing up morning of, you also have to consider cost of gas, tolls and accommodations for track days.

The one thing I'd disagree with: If this is your first time doing track days, unless you're better than 90% of where everybody else here started, you'll be riding in novice and intermediate for a while and you probably won't need slicks until you actually start racing. In intermediate group I've been able to make a pair of Dunlop Q3+ last for 6 or 7 track days on my R1 (smooth throttle). Cost for tires alone is just $400, if you can find a buddy with a tire changer to mount them ($75 a tire fee in the local shops is outrageous to me). You can also get tires mounted at the track, if the vendor is there, cheaper than a repair shop.

7. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

Thanks, great information and some new things to consider.
    I live within 45min of the track.
    How much of a learning curve would it be from transitioning from a street tire to slicks? I'm most likely in the 90% range though.

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Not to suggest I know the answer, but I’m sticking with my Dunlop Q4s for now. I figure I’ll know when the time is right to move to slicks.

Andrew24m likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Slicks are absolutely unnecessary for you as a virgin newbie. WAY overkill. You can add $300 for stands, $300-400 for warmers, and an extra $50/day to your budget at NJMP for power, or $500 for a 2000Watt generator if you're going to use slicks.

Your list is a decent list of possible expenses. Possible and actual can be completely different. Wheel Bearing and Hokie also offered sound opinions you may want to take
    under advisement.

If you want an intro to the track environment at NJMP with a bit less pressure and less power to manage, consider a MiniGP camp with NJMiniGP. There's one in Summer and one in Fall. Ryan and Nathan run a GREAT program in those three days. Ryan teaches the sweet science of motorcycle riding, and you can have the privilege of getting your ass handed to you by an 8 year old on a 50. These little shits are SERIOUS, they're fearless, fast, and it's humbling.

One other piece of advise.....when you sign up...leave your ego at the door and sign up in Novice. If you're starting at zero, that's the place for you.
    Intermediate, you'll just get in the way, possibly ride over your head and feel pressure to ride beyond your comfort and skill level, and that NEVER ends well.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's your current bike and gear setup?

11. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

I have a 2017 Triumph Truxton R 1200cc Just street gear no leathers. My helmet Simpson M30 carbon

12. StaccatoFan

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  13. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Disclaimer, I'm not super fast myself, but this is my take.

Different slicks brands and compounds have different characteristics, as do differing street tires. For the sake of comparison, let's assume they're somewhat close in profile and stiffness. If you're riding safely within the limits of traction, no difference in feel. Other than the benefits of tire warmers and being able to immediately go full pace on the first lap, slicks won't feel any different until you're controllably reaching the edge of traction on your track day tires. At that point, when you can safely approach the limits of traction without losing it, you can go a little faster on slicks because they will give you just a little more grip before sliding. The difference is not huge though, as I've heard many people say how close their lap times are to slicks.

Andrew24m and Wheel Bearing like this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You absolutely do not need slicks...go as long as possible on good DOT's and enjoy the simple life for as long as you can! You are going to be overwhelmed on your first weekend anyways (everyone always is for their first track time), I couldn't imagine having done my first weekend trying to figure out the warmers and warmer logistics on top of everything else.

Andrew24m and TurboBlew like this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lets address a few things...
    -Full pace at a track day means bupkiss. Not to mention anyone with appreciable speed wants the sun to help bring the track up to temp. Nothing wrong with taking the first sessions at 1/2 speed to bring your body up to speed/temp. Ive seen first hand how going out full pace first session on a damp/cold track turns into a yard sale. Blows goats when your org doesnt pickup bikes til noon or at the end of the day. So much for the value add of having tire warmers.
    -You shouldnt be worried about lap times at a track day unless you ride with NESBA & youre trying to earn the bump. Then by all means go hard from the outlap and make that control rider work to catch you...lol

Andrew24m and Wheel Bearing like this.
  16. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

DOT’s it is.
    For some reason thought it was a night and day difference. Thanks to everyone that cleared that up for me.

17. Andrew24m

Andrew24m Member

18. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

It would be odd for a race bike to be clean like a street bike. They are raced and they are crashed. It would also be unusual for them not to need some maintenance no matter what someone says - sometimes just for peace of mind or preference.

The faster the bike the more expensive a crash is going to be and the more maintenance. On a used R6 especially in your budget, I wouldn't trust the top end being fresh. Their valves can only go so many weekends and so much over rev.

A simple low side can cost some scuffing or as I have had happen - you could lose all bodywork, all electronics, cracked forks... the bikes can be fragile.

For someone on a limited budget? - there is a lot of turnover in racers. Most only stay a few seasons if that. Racing is, at a dedicated level, an extraordinary monetary and work commitment.

You probably don't know how much you'll spend/invest into trackdays/racing. You could have some crashes, injury, and find there are other things you'd like to do that cost less, are less dangerous, and take less time.
    Maybe you'll will think, I should have spent and bought that toyhauler, Brembo, akra... in the first place or maybe you will think, what am I going to do with this expensive crap

Starting in college with no money, everything was on the credit card, now as a working professional - at either point it is tough to make any accurate budget - how fast do you want to go?

I just prepped an r6 - fortunately, low street miles otherwise topend rebuild 3k
    Bike 6K
    Bodywork 1K
    Suspension 2K
    Brakes $700
    Electronics 1.5K
    Sundries - steering stabilizer, shark guard, gas cap, grip, rearsets, battery, chain, sprockets.... 2k
    spares - 2k - tank, bodywork, levers....
    tires! 1k+/weekend

I've prepped multiple bikes and bought race bikes, little cheaper to buy a prepped but you don't know the history and different preferences - prepping, safety wiring, it is a huge hassle. I hate prepping and I'm somewhat frugal, I still spent numerous weekends so I'd end up with what I wanted. Your budget and time may be different.

The quickest way to learn is on a smaller bike, it is also the cheapest, and least fragile.

Good luck, maybe we'll see you at the track some time

19. StaccatoFan

This guy speaks truth!