1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Day Antifreeze Coolant?

Discussion in 'General' started by FED34FIRE, Jun 13, 2019.

1. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Bike is almost ready to make a return to Vintage Racing. In the meantime I would like to get back on the track with my street bike since it's been 10 years since I raced. The Track Day Clubs at NJMP don't require a 'Race Prepped' bike unless running in the advanced 'Expert Race License' Group. Still, I don't want to take any chances. Does anyone make a Track Safe Antifreeze or ethylene glycol free product that I won't have to remove in the winter? I ride my bike all year so I'm trying to avoid changing out coolant every time I'd like to do a track day.

Thanks

Henry

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No such thing as glycol free AND protects from freezing.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Vodka.........Jager

FED34FIRE likes this.
  4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd have to change out the coolant every time you wanted to do a track day. Put the track-safe stuff in after winter is over and use it all spring, summer, and fall. Put antifreeze in for the winter. It's typically a very simple and quick process.

5axis, TLR67 and MVA25 like this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Change it..... every year and then some...

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

"Engine Ice" is propylene glycol (not ethylene). Some race orgs accept it, but not all.

R/T Performance likes this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

But still slick as shit to the feel.... and not easy to clean up...

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

WaterWetter is fine for street use. so u can run that and go to the track whenever. just make sure to flush it much more often than u would with glycol coolant.

9. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Very appreciated

10. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

11. TurboBlew likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. blue03R6

why not? it's a Ethylene Glycol free product and is approved for MotoGP. all your rules states is that it must be water with a few oz of water wetter etc. so you just stick to that and end of discussion? I get it but I think this stuff is safe to use on a track.

14. blue03R6

there is a lot of "prep" of the coolant system that needs to be done first. that is you have to flush the shit out of it to remove all the old coolant and water. so it's not something user friendly. it would probably work best in a new engine that's never had coolant in it.

15. MotoGP bikes use water.

16. You can search on my posts ref Evans.

Evans sucks.

17. blue03R6

18. Shocker, TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why not? Because propylene glycol is still slipperier than water with an additive and much harder to clean up than water with an additive. As for our rules - yes we stick to them, that is kind of the entire point of putting them in the rulebook. As for discussion, there is none on this issue. I've spent a lot of time cleaning up a lot of fluids on track and in parking lots and all sorts of places trying out whatever I could get my hands on for the liquids and different clean up products. I did allow propylene glycols at one point and it caused problems for us and our riders so I outlawed them. It wasn't an arbitrary thing or just a guess on my part.

It's nice you think it is safe. I do not.

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]