1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota 3.5 V6

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Aug 21, 2019.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

recent divorce has me more budget conscious until everything shuffles out with my finances.

Commute recently dropped from 20k/year to more like 6k/ year.

Corolla will roll 213k miles this week. I will keep it, but want something nicer in the garage.

2 kids, one in a child seat, and one in a booster. V6 Camry was my top option, but older ES/GS/IS 350’s have the same engine, and are much nicer for negligibly more money. Mileage is about equal if you go back a couple of years on the Lexus models, and i assume the typical Lexus owner drives less and parks in the garage more.

Any first-hand experience with the drivetrains applicable? I know the IS is rwd, and i honestly haven’t even looked at the GS configuration, but it’s much handsomer than the ES of similar era.

Looking 2006-2012ish to remain budget conscious.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I see them on the regular with 200k on them, they pretty good engines. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the oil line for the VVT? are kinda known for leaking massively if they fail. It's a known issue you can google it.

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty reliable. See a few with coil packs bad and a random VVT line leaking but not a whole lot else.
    I prefer the GS myself but it is a different engine, at least in some of the year models. They may have put the 2GR in them but I don’t recall seeing one.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says the 2gr was used in the GS, but obviously that isn’t gospel.

5. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Not engine fault but whatever person/machine puts sealant on cam tower. Had a few leave it light on rear bank. Sucks under warranty but still not bad.

6. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

GS for comfort, especially with a child seat. I "upgraded" from my old 2010 GS to an Infiniti Q50S(N/A model before they went Twin Turbo) when my trucking company took off. The Six banger in the Infiniti/Nissan Family is no slouch. Think G37/G35 sedan.

Coming from the AWD GS350 to the RWD Q50S was different at first. The GS drank a little more oil but felt better overall as far as comfort and reliability goes. The Q50 has had its share of recalls.

If your budget is north of 8K and a hard stop at 15K, I`d say look at both models.

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The 3rd gen RAV4 (06-12, I think) also has the 3.5 V6 with the 5-speed auto available. Mine currently has about 170,000 miles on it. I've only had it for a year and a half so I can't tell you anything about its first 8 years of history, but I haven't had a single problem with it.

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Only complaint I have about the 3.5 in my Taco is the oil filter placement.

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Broome it.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Just buy a new one when its time for oil change?

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Take the IS out since you have child seats.
    Its a great motor, like almost anything else toyota makes. Don't overthink it.

sdiver likes this.
  12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My thought was more conservative but yours sounds better. :D

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

OK..I'm going to say this..you're looking to play it conservative with your finances for a bit until everything shakes out with the divorce...which is smart.
    You're also probably right to take a look at a new vehicle at this point. The daily driver is over 200K, so good call on the new so you have a Plan B.

Regardless of the lesser daily commute, you're going to consider cars that call for the more expensive fuel at the pump while you're looking to conserve costs?

Not trying to be a smartass here, just kinda seeing that part of your plan being flawed. And, I've been in that similar situation as you're in now. I had a
    2011 Honda Pilot for hauling the kid around...it used 87, but it used a gallon of it about every 16-17 miles. $350/month in gas. For that reason and a couple others,
    it had to go.

Traded it in on a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid...When it comes to cars, I've always been a Honda fan, so the intent was an Accord. My friend talked me into considering the Fusion Hybrid.
    Same motor/drive train as a Prius...just not as ghey and fugly. I test drove it, bought it and almost 153,000 miles later at 45mpg I'm sad Ford's going to discontinue them. I got 98,000 miles out of the first set of tires, and other than that...unscheduled maintenance has been less than $1000 since I signed the papers.

My monthly fuel bill went from that $350 to $100-$120/month.

The friend that advised me to give the Fusion a look has a 2012 with about 80K on it. His son just found a used 2018 he's picking up next weekend.
    They also make an Energi version that you can charge up and run on battery for the first 20 miles..then it reverts to function like a regular hybrid like mine.
    Kind of a poor man's Tesla type thing. Sometimes I kind of wish I had bought that one. I'd almost get to work every morning on all electric, and they have
    charging stations at work that would nearly cover my drive home.

14. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I put 87 in my 14' ES350 with no issues.

15. bored&stroked

Pretty sure Ford is not using Toyota engines in anything.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Lexus stuff will run on 87. Just hurts the gas mileage cause it pulls timing out.

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

They’re both Atkinson motors.

18. bored&stroked

Thats like saying BMW uses Kawasaki motors in the S1000RR. They are both otto cycle engines. Any 4 cylinder with variable valve timing can be switched between otto and atkinson as the engine is running. Its not a type of engine.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I currently have the kids in the corolla, so an IS wont be any worse.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My commute used to be 47 miles each way, or essentially 500 miles a week. That’s how i put over 100k on the corolla in 4 years. New job dropped daily commute to 37 each way, or more like 20k miles/year.

Now i’m Down to 140 miles a week commuting, and i don’t foresee driving more than 10k miles/year total.

Premium gas and lower fuel economy is not the concern it once was. I will likely gripe about $70 fill-ups, but they should occur monthly, not weekly. And i don’t foresee ever regretting having 260-300hp under the hood. Not after driving a corolla for the last 130,000 miles

969 likes this.