1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyhauler LT vs ST tires

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

For those of you that went to an LT tire instead of an ST what did you go with and why? My hauler is a 22' with a GVWR of 7000lbs. Not massive and never loaded down near capacity.

Will any old LT tire be better than the ST tires?

Are the Maxxis ST's still the choice tires?

2. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I hopped on the LT bandwagon and haven't had a blowout since. Seemed like i had one every trip with the trailer tires. Maxxis LT's

3. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

We went with the Gladiator ST235/85R16. It's F rated, 12 ply, 3800 lbs load rated. $99. Installed them in Feb this year, no issues, so far.

4. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

My last blowout was end of last year headed to Barber. It went right as I was getting into Atlanta traffic:mad: I went to a LT tire at the start of this season.
    28ft toy hauler probably 9000-9500 loaded. I was tired of blowouts on tires that looked perfect. I did the research and also had a few friends recommend switching. One of them tows for a living.

The Michelin XPS Rib is highly recommended by the RV guys but it is really expensive. I bought Goodrich Commercial 235/85/16 E rated for around 3000lbs each which exceeds the shitty Goodyear Marathon D tires that were on there.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

unless you go to 16" wheels, your tire choices will be a little more limited. Finding an "E" rated 15" tire is not easy. Almost always have to order special. "D" rated? can always get them in stock.. With a 7000lb toy hauler, i'm guessing you have 15" still. I have been using the 225/75r15 maxxis "E" rated and pump em up to 70-75psi.. they go to about 80 psi rolling down the road
    Michelin xps Rib is the mac daddy, but not available in 15". goodyear marathon is a great tire IF you don't get the china made ones..

6. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

On my triple axle I got 4 of these, and left 2 Coopers on to use up the tread left on them. Parked the trailer in storage in early January. Picked it up last week for the trip we're on. The tire pressures on the Coopers were down about 50 lbs. The Michelins were all still at 80. And they're 2 years old. Very good tires but they are expensive.

7. ACDNate

8. billy_06evoix

billy_06evoix Well-Known Member

Most stuff in a 15" wheel is going to be an "ST." ST stands for special trailer, where LT stands for light truck. In other words, an LT can be used on a trailer but a ST can't be used on a truck (well isn't supposed to be.) If it is a 225/75, which I'm sure it is or a 205/75, I have an Akuret HF188 in stock in a 10 ply (load range E.) I will be glad to bring them to one of the races or a track that we would both be at. I run them on my 36' 5th wheel and have never had a problem. It is the only trailer tire I stock and sell probably 300+ a month through our wholesale/retail stores. As a matter of a fact, I have deliver a set of those in a 14" and a set of 20" Nittos to Tally next weekend at trackday.

I don't have my computer with me now, but if you will message me tomorrow, I will be glad to get you a price and take care of you.

9. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

+1 to what Melk-man said. Very tough to find e rated tires let alone wheels in a 15" tire. The best bet right now are the Maxxis but they're pricey. There's a bunch of threads out there on the RV forums and I've yet to find a better option.

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I've used the Maxxis 15" E tires. Belts separated but they didn't pop.

Kumho 14" D rated commercial trailer tires on box trailer. 'sploded, wiped out fender and side of trailer.

Tow Max chinese specials, belt separation in one after 6 months. Pulled 15" wheels with these tires off toy hauler and installed them on the box trailer.

One concern with 15" LT (or load range E ST, too) tires is that if you lose one or more on the road you aren't going to be able to find replacements. You end up buying chinese specials to get home, then ordering new LT tires. 16" LT tires are everywhere.

Cooper 16" LT tires with wheels on toy hauler. 1 year now, no problems. I run Cooper LT tires on my Suburban and E350 van as well, no issues with any of them.

Michelin LT tires have cost me more money than any other tire, never again.

11. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

I have a 39' 5th wheels TH 18k GVW I think.
    I drive it like Broome, maybe harder.
    Got sick of tire problems with the 15" wheels on it.
    Put some 16s on and Goestar "G" rated tires and have been towing happy for 4 years now.:up:
    Not the cheapest way out, but I hate road troubles.

12. [​IMG]

13. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

stick to trailer tires.. the LT tires don't quite have the sidewall that the trailer tires do. at least in all the times i've seen them attempted

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  14. MELK-MAN

if you are running 15" or smaller trailer tires .. replace em every 2 years. Even if you have a lot of tread left.

If you keep total psi just below 80psi on the maxxis E rated 225/75/r15, it is great. But, you almost have to order well ahead of time. I replaced all 5 (including spare) last year, and had to get from 2 different suppliers. I separated 3 of em in fairly short order going with 80 psi cold, and a really loaded trailer (fairly close to max weight the tire calls for). If way under weight , maybe it's not as big a deal.. but running 72-75 cold, the only blow out i had was when i ran em too long and the outer edges were worn. Hot August day trip to Roebling road, i lost a trailer tire AND a truck tire in the space of about 3 miles.. (had 60,000 miles on the michelin xlt E 285's)

the Kenda seems to be decent too. i have "D" rated 225/75/15 on my 27' toy hauler and they have been nice. Little easier towing with more air psi, so replacing them soon with an "E" rated and may consider the kenda http://www.trailertiresandwheels.co...ge-e-10-ply-kenda-karrier-radial-trailer-tire

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

My Towmax tire at 6 mos: [​IMG]
    Also had 2 others with delam bubbles at that time too.
    Switched to Carlisle ST's and they've been perfect for over a year.

16. MELK-MAN

i will never waste my money on towmax tires again.. readily available, but not very good tires.

17. billy_06evoix

billy_06evoix Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, stay away from bias ply trailer tires. Just my $.02.

18. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

I had that happen to my 1 yr old Carlisle's last year, luckily only 1 as no spare on the old TH. New rig has Goodyear HT's in 16's, and a spare Michelin which I need to get replaced this weekend or next actually when we get to our race.

19. ACDNate

Thanks for the info, PM coming your way.

I'm not taking these tires very far. Sidewalls are showing cracking which I suppose is to be expected since the tires are 10yr old Towmasters, date code 0204.

20. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

I switched to LT tires last year. I have a 29' toy hauler, weighs in at 8500 empty, about 10,000 fully loaded. I'm running 16" E-rated MESA tires from Tire Kingdom, cost $132 each mounted and balanced. I previously ran 16" Good Year Marathons, cost was about $200 each. The Marathon's adveraged about 3,000 miles before failure. Thus far I'm at just about 6,000 miles on the LT tires. So I am ahead of the game in both mileage and cost. Furthermore, the LT tires are way more stable, the trailer seems to track better and is less prone to sway.