1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

To the OP. You can tow a small toy hauler with your truck. But it’s not the best tool for the job.

Reconsider a camper because as your son gets older you can have a lot more uses for it than just track days. Lots and lots of campgrounds available and the kids love to go. They usually include a water park.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Not to take away from the scintillating GMC v. Chevy discussion but to clarify. I never said the mods I did changed anything regarding the 1/2 ton towing status of my 1500. I simply said worthwhile mods for a 5.3l Chevy - because they are and I have real world experience with them. In fact, I did mention be aware of the size trailer he did get (“tail wagging the dog” comment.)

Not really sure what your point was, but fish on.

3. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking at the wolf pup 17rp. With out seeing it in person yet, looks like it will be perfect for what we want it for. It’s not extremely heavy, or too big compared to what toy haulers can be. It looks like a good starter toy hauler. Only way to find out is to get one.

ducnut likes this.
  4. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

I understand that those type of mods don’t improve the payload capacity. I’m sure they greatly improve the handling and driving experience when you’re towing a trailer that is properly rated for the truck you have.

5. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I’ve had 2 gmc’s and a Chevy. Probably going to be replacing my current gmc with a Chevy because I prefer the looks and it’s the same truck otherwise.

6. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

I hear ya

I’ve been looking at the wolf pup 17rp. Looks like it might be just right for what we want/need. My truck can at least handle that. My son is only a 7 1/2 weeks old. I got at least 3-4 years before he can start doing any kid stuff. Never hurts to get them around this sport early:D who knows, maybe in that time I will have a 2500 diesel...or minivan:Puke:

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if possible get a weight. My Dad bought a jayco octane 32... never bothered to check the weight fully loaded... had my brother go check it... 10,800 with out anything in the garage. Good thing he had a 3500 truck. Was brochured at 8500

MVA25 likes this.
  8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I figured you did - you seem to be approaching this the way I would - “what are my realistic options “etc.

However this is the WERA board - Holiday Inn Express ain’t got nothing on this place. :D

StaccatoFan and TurboBlew like this.
  9. I have a lot of experience towing with that same powertrain....and it was miserable. I can’t even explain how aggravating it was.

The engine CONSTANTLY downshifting, the revs screaming the whole time, not being able to accelerate quick enough to navigate through traffic, etc. I could go on and on about how much I hated it.

I would feel stressed and tense AF by the time I got to the track.

FWIW, I had the exact same experiences/feelings when towing with the 6.2L gas engine in the Escalade, even though it had a good bit more power.

It should also be mentioned that I slung a rod through the block of the Escalade with less than 30k miles, and went through 3 Transmissions in the Avalanche.

It “will” tow it. Meaning if you hook to it and hit the gas, it will make it roll. But it will suck.

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well you forgot to mention you were also trying to drive like Lewis Hamilton at an F1 race with said truck and trailer. :D

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

....and said trailer probably being a 40', double decker. :)

Banditracer likes this.
  12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

My point was/is, a lot of people think that by adding air bags/air shocks, etc, they have increased the payload capacity of their truck and I wasn't sure if you were one of those folks that thought that or not, as I really don't know you. I just wanted to make sure that no one, especially the O.P. didn't believe that to be the case either. I'm on a lot of RV forums and a few truck forums and that question/comment comes up a lot.....about adding air bags and thinking they are increasing the payload capacity of the truck they have or are buying. I certainly wasn't trying to offend, and I'm definitely not a "fishing" kind of guy, so sorry if it you took it like that. Carry on.

MVA25 likes this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

All good - It came off snarky, but I’d also been from the Gulf Coast to Aurora Il and back to Southern Ill(s) in the previous 36 hours last night - so it could’ve also been my level of punchdrunkedness.:crackup:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That should be a nice start, without getting too crazy. You’re approaching this the right way, IMO.

I’d measure your bumper height, before hooking the trailer on and record the same number after hitched. As you load the trailer, you can monitor how your load is affecting your truck/hitch weight.

The safety nazi will surely jump on this, but, airbags and a nice WD hitch like an Andersen can improve your towing experience. I run both. Also, when towing, don’t run your truck in overdrive, if the transmission is constantly downshifting. Drop a gear. You may consider a larger trans cooler, as well. I have the one pictured.

Attached Files:

15. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Southern IL huh.....I grew up and lived in Granite City, then Jerseyville, then Alton before I moved to TN in 2006. What part of S IL do you live?

16. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Yeah man. No sense in getting the nicest/neatest toy hauler if it will make my truck scream before I leave the driveway. Safety is my #1 priority with this. If I stay a few thousand below the tow capacity of my truck( I am also well aware of the payload), loaf both properly, put some add ons on my truck and tow hitch, and take my time(something I forget to do), I think this can be a fun experience. If Murphy decides to show up though...that will be another thread.

ducnut likes this.
  17. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I appreciate that. No sense in putting my family and others in danger so I can have more luxury at a race track.

That’s a good ideas. I will do that as I hitch it and start loading the track day fun.

My truck does have the oversized hoses for the tranny. WD hitch will be on the first time i hitch the trailer. Probably get airbags installed too.

By the time I’m done with the little ad ons, i might as well sell the truck and get a decently used 2500 :crackup:

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Despite all the issues I’ve had with my POS Chevy (should’ve bought a GMC), I really don’t want anything else. :D

I have Airlift bags with their Smart Air system and compressor, wired through a switch so it’s not always on. It was easy enough to install, just time consuming since I took the time to run everything through plastic conduit, compressor inside my spare tire, etc. I’d never tow anything without them, now that I’ve used them. Likewise, I’d never tow without my Andersen WD hitch, because the tension can be easily adjusted, stops porpoising, and has an element of anti-sway built into the design. Not cheap, but, is a nice piece.

MVA25 likes this.
  19. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Roy's been quite. Maybe he's still sleeping off the hangover?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I figure he's at the bar right now :D

bleacht likes this.