1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler input. 1/2 ton towable bumper pull variety

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, Jun 21, 2016.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

The boss says it's time for a nicer/newer toy hauler than the Haulmark we have. It's a Elite ii car hauler with their camper package added on, wet bath, fold down twin beds, nothing fancy.

I've got 1650 lbs of payload on the truck to work with. Figuring I want to stay at/under 1000lb tongue weight (WDH of course).

I've been looking at local dealers that carry Forrest River Nitro/XLR/Hyperlight, Crossroads Attitude and Winnebago. While they each have a couple different bells and whistles, I can't see where the difference in pricing is at. I also can't wrap my head around what I should be wanting and needing out of one. Coming from what I have now, they are all pretty incredible. The only thing that comes to mind that I would like to have is generator pre-wire. Built in does cost more but it's easier than dragging a generator around and having to refill often.

So what do you have in your toy hauler you love?

What do you have that you hate and wish was different?

Are there any brands I should be avoiding?

2. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

If you can get one with the fueling station. It may be ok to drag fuel cans around but those 20-30gal fuel stations help alot. Kind of wish I had one but it would make less sense since I don't have an on board generator. If you get the prewired for Gen like you want it should also come with a separate tank for the generator.

Also to help save weight with a 1/2ton (300# or more) don't fill the water tank until you get to the track, Not sure about WERA but all of the CMRA tracks have a water faucet and I keep a hose on board. The track shouldn't care, water is like $1.50/1,000Gal, so toss them a dime if they wanna be assholes about it.

I haven't looked at the bumper market recently but I wanted at TH with a separated garage door because of the smells from gas and what not ( the on board tank/ fueling station would eliminate most of that) I also wanted a place to sleep that I didn't have to unload anything, so if I showed up late or stop on a long drive home I can sleep without worry.

I wish mine had more under carriage storage for misc things like tirewarmers, tools, spares, chairs, etc. I also liked the mini closet I have, I can put the leathers and gear in there with my under armor and what not stuffed at the bottom. Since the track is the only place it gets used I can wash it all then throw it back in there.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You can't do it with that truck. You need the heaviest dually with the biggest blown turbo diesel in it you can get. Anything less will be unacceptable to some beebers.

:p :D

Eskimo, ACDNate, MELK-MAN and 2 others like this.
  4. Trunxgp1224

Also remember if you want to get technical with the book you have 1650# payload which doesn't include gas or passengers.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You should figure out what your truck can tow before asking what TH you should buy. I will say this: My Work n Play is advertised by being 1/2 ton towable, but I'm not sure I'd want to tow something that's 6,500lbs empty with a gasser. People do get carried away, hence the "need a dually to tow a landscaping trailer" comments, but you'll never hear anyone say "the truck is too stable and stops too easily"

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

http://www.boydwelding.com/
    These guys can make auxillary tanks if you dont find one with a suitable fuel station.
    Reasonable too.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

fuel stations are nice, but a maint. headache. I'm replacing my fuel pump now on my xlr27hfs..
    a slide out. it's amazing how much more room there appears to be with a slide out.
    bigger ac than you ever think you need. 15k btu is what you want if located anywhere remotely "south".
    15" wheels MINIMUM. no matter what. 16" preferably.

V5 Racer likes this.
  8. ACDNate

Very true. That's why i'm looking to keep tongue weight at or below 1000lbs

9. ACDNate

The slide out would be nice, like the xlr27hfs though it starts to edge out to what I'd like to have hitch weight wise.

Never contemplated the ac size, but definitely on point on wheel size.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

16" wheels is my vote.

In my experience (and from reading the experiences of others) it seems anything light enough to be towable by a 1/2 ton truck is flimsy at best. Our Hobbi was a genuine POS, small wonder that the Jayco which replaced it was hundreds of pounds heavier even though it's 10 feet shorter (26' vs. 16').

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Like Melk-man, I have the Hyperlite xlr27hfs. I towed it with my Titan without any issues for a while. I recently upgraded my truck to a diesel and it is definitely nicer to tow, but I really did that because of plans to upgrade to a 5th wheel too in the near future. I did not get the genny prewired, instead opted to buy a 6300 Yamaha inverter. Only time I regret that decision is if I have a really full load and the floor space is running out. Not sure where you live, but Greg encouraged me to get the 15k a/c for the Florida Summers and I am glad I did. The fuel station would be cool too at times, but have never regretted not having it.

12. Lavana

Lavana The coming

With pitbull restraint systems can you fit 4 bikes in the garage area?

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Fuel stations...
    If they're made with the same attention to detail as the rest of the wagon, you'd better clean it out before you use it.

14. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I'd say 3 would be about it, but can't say for sure. I usually only travel with 1 race bike, but have had a 250f, 125, and my wife's 250 4 wheeler in there.

15. Trunxgp1224

not sure if my AC is 13 or 15K but it does fine in Texas triple heat. 20ft living space out of the 30ft total length

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My Jayco is pretty fat (102" exterior width) and 3 across is it. The middle restraint is set 1 foot farther forward, I think the handlebars would interfere otherwise. If the garage is deep you might be able to get one sideways in front of the others but you would have to man-handle it into position.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

1/2 ton pickups. :D

If I'm buying a hauler, I want to get more use out of it than just having something to go to the track. I want to be able to live in it.
    Of the brand/models you mentioned, the XLR 27HFS gets my vote simply for the separate garage. Anything bigger is too much for your truck* and the others that were within your truck's weight limitations have the garage in the living space.
    Is it any wonder there are comments about diesels and duallies?

*The 27HFS is at your truck's limits and there's no reason, imo, to push the limits of factory recommendations/limitations. I'd much rather see something pushing 75% of the limits, at most.
    That's impractical for lots of reasons... A) it limits your choices even further; B) it requires a bigger truck to get what you might really want.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I sleep on a cot in my 6x12 trailer. The only extras for toy hauler capability are an RV style door with a Velcro screen and electric package. No A/C, small ceramic space heater for cold nights. It works fine. Occasionally there are nights it would be nice to have A/C to sleep and probably should have included it in my build, but most evenings cool off enough for me to sleep fine with the roof vent and screen door to get some air.

My point is, the OP can move up from where he is now without needing to buy a 3500 diesel truck and a 40' toy hauler and he will be fine. Now the "boss" may have differing opinions, as it sounds like the boss was the one pushing for the change to start with.

19. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Bathroom is the most important feature of all IMHO. Make sure you can crap and shower easily. Melk is right about wheels/tires, upgrade those right away to 16s. Super slide is a must too. I have had 2 rigs without a slide and will NEVER own anything without it. That's just for me and pops at the races even. With my wife and our 3 kids I cannot imagine no slide.

TRS is a must for sure. I have onboard fueling station and have never used it for our golf cart but my on board genny loves it. That is something I will never not have either. BUT those are harder to find on a bumper pull than my 5th wheel. Of course once I traded the 2 bumper pull rigs and went to a 5th wheel I would never go back there either.

I also require at least 60 gals of fresh water, mine is 100gals and I carry an empty 30gal jug and transfer pump/hoses just in case I have to go get more water.

20. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I have an enclosed 7x14 finished with ac and last time I used it was about two years ago. I don't like pulling a trailer because I don't want to go the speed limit.

A toy hauler sounds like a super nice idea and one can even say that you can also use it to go camping etc.

How many times a year are you guys actually using your toyhauler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk