1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Hitches on Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, May 18, 2019.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

So I want to install a hitch on my Avalon and want to know what your experiences are with installing hitches on sedans that aren't OEM equipped for towing. I understand they might have to drill into the frame to install the hitch according to UHaul's website. I want to have a clear picture if this would affect resale value (if any) as well as any other issues I'm overlooking. I'll be pulling one bike with spares/tires at the most.

For reference, I have seen Corollas with a 1500 TOW rating so I think a V6 Camry/Avalon would have no trouble with it.

2. Had a hitch installed on a Chrysler sedan back in 1999. It was leased. Did not detract from the resale value (it was a Chrysler, after all).

Prospect likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve installed them. Some manufacturers will have sleeves through the rear framerails and the hitch bolts right up. Others you have to drill through the trunk floor and they simply sandwich the floor between backing plates on top and the hitch on the bottom. Either way, I don’t see any decrease in value or marketability, as they’re very handy for stuff like hitch-mount bike racks (default reason for a hitch ;)). Step up your transmission maintenance, since you’re adding more load to the drivetrain. Disclaimers are: ensure you routinely check the bolts if you regularly use it and don’t be hooking your buddy’s toy hauler to it for a trackday. Lastly, enjoy cruising in a very nice tow vehicle. :D

Edit: If you go to hitchfinder.com and look up your Avalon, the installation instructions are usually available for download and you can see exactly what is involved for that vehicle.

Prospect likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hitches are one thing... Brakes are another... if it hilly where your towing consider boiling them up.

ducnut likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

At least, the Avalon has nice sized discs on all 4 corners, unlike shitty econoboxes with their 8” rotors and drums.

6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I should have clarified, I'm looking into this for trackday duty, I'm hauling a track bike.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What year Avalon? I’d be shocked if etrailer.com didn’t have a no drill option for it. Generally an hour or two to install the hitch and run the wiring and you’re done.

Main issue with hitches on sedans is sometimes dragging when going up a steep incline.

Prospect likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay enough with the good answers.

You need an F350 diesel. Crew cab. Long bed. 4x4.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I used my 93 Accord to tow my bike quite often back in the day. Norther Hydraulic (Northern Tool now I think) trailer 4 x 8. Still have the trailer, the car was sold many years ago to a guy that worked for me. N problems whatsoever, but it was a 5 spd manual.

Prospect likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And a Harbor Freight trailer.

11. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Alright then, U-Haul is the closest place to me, should I trust them with a hitch install in your opinions?

You're buying? How generous of you Mongo.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah right, I'm not remotely that nice :D

Prospect likes this.
  13. I used the local Uhaul in Raleigh. They did a good job, but there was no bumper modification required. If that is necessary, then Uhaul isn’t the place to go.

14. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2015_Toyota_Avalon.htm

Two options, both involve drilling. By all means then.

Thanks for the feedback, no bumper modification required in my case.

15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i saw a dude show up with a mini cooper and a "trailer in a bag" setup.
    no joke... cbr1000rr and a mini cooper :crackup:

Prospect likes this.
  16. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

And you didn't take a photo?! That's epic!

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I know that. A little sarcasm in there, brother. And, the bike rack comment is a great answer if a buyer questions what you’ve towed with the car.

A buddy pulls his Daytona 675 behind a Civic with one those trailers. Looks sketchy as hell, but, whatever works for him. At least he goes to the track.

Prospect and pfhenry like this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would avoid letting Uhaul install anything at all costs.
    Opt for the standard class 3 2" receiver vs 1" 1/4

BigBird and pfhenry like this.
  19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

No problem usually. Easier on hoist though. Wiring can likely get plug and play.

20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

A open trailer will be fine behind a Avalon, same engine trans as a Highlander and virtually the same brakes.
    I’d bet the hitches are bolt on, be wary of the trailer harness though and make sure you get a quality plug and play one that doesnt butcher the harness.

Now if you start trying to pull a 7x16 enclosed it may be a different story.

TurboBlew and Prospect like this.