1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow hauler options

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, May 26, 2020.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I currently drive a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT. It has the class 3 hitch which is rated for 5000lbs with 500lb tounge. The SUV is rated for 2500lbs, but can supposedly pull the full 5000lbs if I add the optional tow package. The most I have pulled with it so far was about 1400lbs (3 bikes and a crap ton of gear on a small utility trailer).

Are there any tow hauler options I can haul comfortably with my explorer without upgrading to the full tow package?

I have a large family and the truck is paid off so we’re not really wanting to trade for an F150 right now.

any advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Nothing really that you can tow comfortably with the explorer, you're just asking for transmission problems.

ducnut and gixxerboy55 like this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Tow package for certain and then you are looking at the little ones and you will have to watch the tongue weight.

Trade for a used Touareg or 4Runner and it gets a little better. I have no idea why they make an SUV that large that can tow so little.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/best-lightweight-toy-haulers/

rabbit73 likes this.
  5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Thanks for that link. That VRV trailer is almost exactly what I was looking for. And of course it looks like they're out of business. ATC seems to make them now (or maybe they always did?) but they don't have that little 6x14 anymore.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

ATC, what is your budget for a toy hauler?

I ask because when my son and I started this silliness, I bought a 26 ft toyhauler for $12k that was 2 years old and just sold it 12 years later for $7K. I bought a 2000 Ford F250 single cab diesel for $4500 and unfortunately got sideswiped and sold it for about $1500. The next diesel was a GM Sierra 2500 which I still have and I paid 7-8k-ish for that and it might still be worth about that? It did soon need injectors, but is so much better than trying to tow anything with an old explorer.

So what I'm trying to say is if you have budget for an ATC, you probably have budget to upgrade to an older diesel truck which will then tow a regular sized toyhauler that will not break the bank.

EDIT: sorry I thought you were the OP, but my suggestions may also work for him?

7. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

9. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Just today I went to go look at an Intech Flyer Explore. Only 1,700 lbs dry. With 1 bike and some gear, it's about 2,500 lbs. I plan on picking one up with my Mazda CX9 tomorrow.

Razr likes this.
  10. Quick6RR

What’s the tow capacity for your Mazda?

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

looks nice but if you get a chance to weigh it... might tell a better story. One thing would be the standup height. The foldout beds have been around awhile. That being said... a 6x12 aluminum trailer with a 6' interior height & barn doors comes in at 950lbs

12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

3,500 lbs.

13. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I have the 2017 Explorer base model but with the factor tow package of 5000lb tongue weight 500lb. Do a little reading if you add a tow because of the additional transmission cooler and etc.

I thought about a very small toy hauler but just weight of it alone, more so tongue weight, was on the upper range limits. So I just ordered a Proline aluminum 6x12 but that weights about 1300lbs with 6’6” inside height. I couldn’t believe how inexpensive it was to add that height.

If you’re into carpenters, electrical, etc then there is a thread on here that references tnttt.com I’m getting a lot of great ideas to mod my soon to be trailer.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is that with a ramp door??

15. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Yes it is. I added some of the option that the motorcycle version has minus the FRP interior wall.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I had a 2011 edge (should be just like explorer drivetrain) that had the transmission that you could go into a manual shift mode with a little up/down shift button on the shift lever. You could not put it into tow mode or lock out the highest gear. Im glad i only had a 5' wide enclosed trailer because it struggled on the hwy.

Now ive got a '12 Armada. She pulled a 8.5 wide enclosed this winter with a bit less fuss. The seats are a lot more comfortable too. 9.6 mpg in the city baby!!

17. Quick6RR

So I’m likely gonna have to get a new vehicle to pull a hauler with all the amenities we’d need. Can you guys think of an budget truck options purely to haul. It would need to still be something big enough to carry a family of 5.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

10-15yo 2500 quad cab pickup.
    I’m partial to the bow tie....either duramax or the 6.0/6.2l gas will do fine for all but the most palatial of 5th wheels

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

What is your budget? I put in 2005 and newer but some 04's came up, Diesel GM Sierra. I have an 02 and the problem with those is the injectors fail every 100k miles or so.
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...RE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c1911

20. Quick6RR

I’ve been looking at their website and there is also a dealer near me. I’m probably gonna go this route. Would you mind telling me about the options and pricing you went with? I’m confident my little explorer can pull this as well with my bike in the back.