1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toe drag trouble (help)

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by gixxerfreak03, May 16, 2004.

1. gixxerfreak03

gixxerfreak03 Well-Known Member

I am a fairly new racer that needs some riding advice. When on the track at full lean, I am having a hard time keeping the toes of my boots from dragging. The bike is GSXR 600 and ride height is maxed with 3 spacers to increase on a penske triple clicker shock. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Tommy696

Tommy696 Well-Known Member

How are your feet positioned on the pegs? Are you riding with the balls of your feet on the peg or with the peg at the arch of your foot? also are you riding stock rearsets or aftermarket and which brand if so?

3. gixxerfreak03

I have been riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs, and the rearsets are the vortex sets that are up and back a little, oh and the boots are the alpinestars S-MX plus I believe.

4. Gixxer-715

Gixxer-715 Well-Known Member

toe dragging

If you are riding on the balls of your feet. And already have aftermarket rearsets? Then you can try a set off of an 99 or earlier model. I did this with my 02. No more problems. However, if you are a tall guy it might get a little uncomfortable. Me I'm 5'10" and fit on it perfect. The brand I chose were the cfm's. They seem to set further back and up slightly higher than the model (aftermarket)that is.
    Just my 2cents
    Kevin nov 229

5. Gixxer-715

Gixxer-715 Well-Known Member

toe dragging

I've got that exact same boot. No probs with the aftermath rsets I described earlier.
    Kevin nov#229 not Gixxer-715 I leave my computer for five minutes and they try and take over.

6. gixxerfreak03

damn, I am a bit on the big side (6'2), looks like maybe I need to invest in some of those expensive rearsets that can be adjusted higher and further back. Anyway I appreciate the help. Thanks

7. laohu69

laohu69 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with my toes dragging. Bike is a '99 GSX-R600 with Vortex rear sets and I'm wearing Gaerne boots. Even with the balls of my feet on the pegs I scrape toes. I'm not as tall as you (6'-0") though. I've been told by some of the other riders that I'm not getting off the bike far enough.

8. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I had the same problem (6-3)............are you hanging off the bike enough? Are you dragging your toes and knees at the same time............if you are not............hang off the side more, and try to pick the bike up a little for clearance.

Good luck............toe sliders and boots cost too much to drag them! Knee pucks are not cheap, but are the way to go.

:beer:

9. MidnightRider

MidnightRider Well-Known Member

I was dragging my toes too but I moved my foot back to where the foot peg is just at the top edge of the balls of my feet and that seems to give just enough clearance not to scrape the toe slider.

10. charles

charles The Transporter

As an 'older' rider, I used to do the same thing... what I was told was... make a conscious effort before the turns to readjust
    your foot on the peg (which of course should be at the 'just right'
    poiition), and move your toes up on the peg... used to see
    quite a few GP riders doing this, the movement was quite apparent... either that, or put steel tips on your boots!!!
    Hope it works out for you, walking without toes is difficult.
    Regards,
    Charles

11. imracerxgirl

imracerxgirl Member

make a conscious effort before the turns to readjust
    your foot on the peg (which of course should be at the 'just right'
    poiition), and move your toes up on the peg... used to see
    quite a few GP riders doing this, the movement was quite apparent

Yup, i do exactly this...when you are on riding a 125 you will either drag your toes quite easily or your knees, i think the knees are the way to go!!

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea, but this guy is riding a GSXR600... has lots of room to move about... you 125 riders are almost part of the bike with little wiggle room... too bad I'm too damn big for a 125, I'd love to have one, but me mum won't let me....

13. imracerxgirl

imracerxgirl Member

Ok, how big are you??? Yes, im small...barely 5'2, and wiegh in around 115....
    There was a guy out at Streets of Willow, he was about 6'2 and weighed in at 215, he rode a 125...it was kinda like seeing a gorilla on a golf ball, but he managed ok.....adjusted the pegs and had his butt all the way back...but he did fine!! No excuses!! :)

14. charles

charles The Transporter

Oh, about the same size as gorilla-man, but like I said, me mum
    won't let me have one!!!

15. imracerxgirl

imracerxgirl Member

"me mum
    won't let me have one!!!"
    Are you serious? Or are you really only 15 or 16 years old and mom says, "no bike for you!"
    Or, you have a girlfriend or wife who has control of the $$$??

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea, serious, y'know... mum would be frazzled to see me on a 125, "bigger bike fer ya now," she'd tell me, "yer too much of a fat bloke for the littl 'uns." Control of the money??? There an't no money, but i'm workin' on it because I fancy on of the125 tiddlers
    no matter what mum says!!!!!