1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To oil pump or not to?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Kiwi, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have a controversial question and would like factual answers if possible not personal feelings. RGV250, some street riding, some track riding. Question, to remove or not to remove the oil pump and go primix?

2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Not that it matters but what model? VJ22?

I raced a VJ22 back in the mid 90's and left it oil injection. Personally if I was doing track days or racing I would just go premix so that you know 100% your getting the right amount
    of oil and not have to worry about a pump failure.

I have a VJ23, trying to decide this myself but I do not plan to race and minimal riding so I am leaning on just leaving the oil injection intact.

motion likes this.
  3. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

More street miles than track...I'll leave the earl pump.

4. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I am going full premix on the RGV500. As pathetic as this sounds....I just don't trust the oil pump. Same story in the YSR. Premix is easy, but it can be a PITA if you have an unscheduled stop and have to mix it on the spot. Even with that, I'll stick with premix.

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, premix it is, measuring bottle with two smoke oil makes stops easy.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Whats your guys technique for street gas station fill ups and premix... figuring you know how much you need per gallon in your head? Little bit of each at a time? Fill gas then pour then shake bike around like a moron for 5 min?

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Take a premix measuring bottle full of oil, has all the increments on it and a good premix oil doesn't need much shaking

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have a "just in case" bottle for potential long dirt bike rides, and I marked it in "quantity per gallon" lines with a sharpie, so I just dribble one line per gallon into the tank after filling up. I also remind myself of the ounces per gallon ratio before the ride in case the markings wear off and I have to do the math on the spot.

9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I was recently researching this very question for my RGV project. It will be 100% track though. I found this interesting discussion from 6 years ago:
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/rs250-split-the-cases.310198/page-2

Also found the section in the RGV hop-up kit manual that describes the factory recommended procedure for removing/disabling the oil pump. I can send it to you if you don't already have it.

10. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

couple of 4oz. 5 hour energy bottles filled with oil, 1 per gallon...

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Would like to see the hop up manual description thank you

12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

right on, thanks. i'm not worried about math as i do that for a living haha. i was more worried about the oil dispersing evenly in the tank fuel and how long that took or how much effort it took haha. i thought to myself the other day, i've never actually had to do that ever in my life, but i'd like to be able to once these bikes are done and running.

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

15. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

if you use an oil that is heavy on the racing side, like motul 800, castrol 747, maxima 927, blendzall fk100, in cooler climates (below 68F) it is a bitch to completely mix the two. castors and part castors will separate out as the temperature gets cooler. it's a bitch. i set some out in a clear glass mixed at 25:1 and it clearly separates out like oil and vinegar in salad dressing at cold temperatures. in warm temperatures it does fine . keep that in mind when street mixing in the cold.

also, close the damn petcock long before you mix!! lol a carburetor full of oil won't run haha. wait until you get two blocks down the road, the last of the good mix goes through the float bowl, and the pure oil finally gets in the carb. ... that was a good story and learning lesson haha

16. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve never had an oil pump fail on any of my bikes both Aprilia and Yamaha. If you adjust them properly and keep the hoses in good condition you’re good to go. If the bike is to be ridden on the street a lot, I would keep the convenience of gas and go. Carrying around bottles of premix gets to be a PITA...been there done that.