1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiRx tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, Aug 16, 2018.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

https://tirxmoto.com/ RRW did a review in the August issue and seemed to like it. I would probably still prefer a NoMar but this one does not take up valuable garage space. $485 seems reasonable. Does anyone have any first hand experience or opinions?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Way too complicated. What's wrong with the armstrong method? Some Motion Pro rim protectors and a couple of tire irons...maybe $40. Other items are a plywood "donut" to keep the brake rotors off the bench and Ruglyde from your local NAPA store. I've done hundreds of tires this way, faster than what the video shows. To each his own, I guess.

racer_11 likes this.
  3. yokohama1

Yeah, watching the video I kept wondering how many more pieces will be brought out to complete the task.

4. yokohama1

Yeah, watching the video I kept wondering how many more pieces will be brought out to complete the task.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

You don't have an extra 9 sq/ft and $500 to get a pneumatic?

I changed tires manually by hand for years...would even lay the tire/rim on the ground and run over it to break the bead.
    Had the HF manual changer....fail.

After 25+ yrs, finally saw the light and bought a $1000 pneumatic...that included shipping.

Hell the 'pro' no mar is around $1000 with all the accessories, IIRC.

backbone, cav115 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

$485 for that and you still need to buy the "$6 dollar tire iron from Harbor Freight."...????.... Yeah, no thanks. I tried to watch the whole video to give it a chance but that was simply painful.

7. yokohama1

For those that are just using irons what is the best technique for breaking the bead, besides rolling over them with a car?

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Saw the demo at Rd. America.
    I can see that thing ripping right out of the wall.

tdelegram likes this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Are the pneumatics pretty idiot proof, especially for not scratching rims? I don't consider myself to be stupid, but put me around a tire changer and I look like I should live in a padded room. :D

I had a harbor freight for years, but finally broke one of the welds on it, so I chucked it. Lately, I've been doing dirt bike tires with spoons, which isn't that hard. I didn't want to change the rims on my 1190 Adventure with spoons because I heard big bike offroad tires have super stiff sidewalls. I bucked up the $60 to have them swapped at a local shop, but I'd prefer to be more self reliant and do them at home in the future.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

There's a 'technique' to it for sure. Brian Van/STG has a instructional video in using a pneumatic.
    The biggest tip i could give is keeping the tire pushed down in the rim and off the bead while rotating the table when mounting/dismounting. That is the key.

I just kept practicing with a tire and rim. It's so easy now, it's hard to think that i did have a struggle a time or two at first.
    Same goes for balancing. A little patience is all that's needed.

And no issue with scratching a rim. I've changed '16 Tuono rims and Aprilia/OZ forged rims on the Tuono and RSV4....zero issues. Tire irons and machine don't touch the rims.

You'll be as smooth and quick as the tire vendors at the track in no time.

TLR67 likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

I hope the guy in the video did not quit his day job for that

TLR67 and yokohama1 like this.
  12. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I use short pieces of 2x4 under the wheel, to keep the rotor from contacting the floor, and use a 6ft or longer 2x10 on the bead. Body weight and a slight hop on the 2x will do the job.

13. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

NO f@cking way would I buy that.

TLR67 likes this.
  14. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The $40 bead breaker from Harbor Freight is handy for that if you don't want to rig something up. Used it for years and then went to tire irons once the bead was broke. That said, I bought a pneumatic tire changer for my garage and life is much better now. I can change my RV tires, car tires, bike tires, trailer tires, etc. And they all take like 2 mins to do. For me, there is much less chance of scratching stuff with the pneumatic changer than with tire irons. My first attempt with tire irons was ugly, scratched the heck out of the rim. You can definitely do it cleanly, but it takes patience and practice. The pneumatic changer is stupid simple and if used right, the iron and arm never touches the rim.

racer_11, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I built a lever that hinges onto my work bench leg...about 4 ft long and it pops a bead easily. Flip the wheel and pop the other side...that's what the plywood "donuts" are for, to keep the brake rotors off the floor. My lever also fits into my truck's 2" receiver so I can do tires at a camp ground. Truth is I usually pay the tire guy at the track as I'm lazy that way but I do my own mostly when at home.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The buy in cost of a full pneumatic setup is worth its weight in gold. Most of us already have a decent size air compressor, so it makes it an easy choice if you have the 9-10 square feet needed for dedicated garage space.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The Hell with that thing... I slept next to my Baby last night at Talladega... Going to a new home this weekend... 20180816_094608.jpg

Wheel Bearing, t11ravis and Phl218 like this.
  18. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Buy a pneumatic tire changer.
    had harbour freight then a no mar. Currently have an Atlas pneumatic. Don't repeat my mistakes . Buy a pneumatic tire changer

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  19. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I have a Corgi in my shop now. When I look over at my Coats 22 manual changer, I break a sweat just remembering!

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:)
    Wait a minute, exactly how close did you sleep to it?