1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires on a cold track...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jon686, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Doing a track day this weekend. Running Pilot Powers on an RC51. Normally run 30/30 in the summer or fall at Tally/Barber. Temps are supposed to start out around high 30's and progress to high 50's. Should I up the pressure a little bit to prevent tearing? How much?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ask a michelin trackside vendor. it has been so long since i used a street tire (or rode on the street for that matter..LOL) i don't remember.

3. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

:stupid: talk to your tire guy at the track, but I think lower pressures would be what's suggested

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Pilot Powers are street tires......they won't be nearly that suceptable to tearing from temperature fluctuations like race tires would be.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id change them out to Pures at the very least. Eons better than the PPs

6. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I always do ask the vendor, and I run them because they are durable and I can get away with no warmers. They are also OK in light rain. I assumed lower would be better too, but it was pointed out on here not long ago that you should raise pressure. Just needed an idea how much. Still trying to figure it all out. Thanks.

7. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I always do ask the vendor, and I run them because they are durable and I can get away with no warmers. They are also OK in light rain. I assumed lower would be better too, but it was pointed out on here not long ago that you should raise pressure. Just needed an idea how much. Still trying to figure it all out. Thanks.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would Keep them at 30-30.... If you do put more in either I wouldnt do more than a pound in each... All depends on how aggressive you are, track and conditions..... Be carefull though... When those start to go they go... Unlike a One or a Cup.....Might be time to get some race compounds..

9. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

Never heard of a street tire tearing

10. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

So tearing shouldn't be an issue then. Lots to be said for a set and forget tire like the Pilot Power at my pace. They have served me well, but admittedly I look forward to the day that I can say that tires are holding me back. Thanks for the input from all.

11. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

30/30 worked great. All day long. Still like the Pilot Powers.

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Just be careful as the temps warm up, the Powers will get a bit greasy on hotter days.