1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires for 94 Katana 600, I searched too.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by redciv1, Jan 15, 2009.

1. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

Trying to get some advise on tires for a 94 Katana 600. This seems to be what I am working with:
    120/70/17 Front
    160/60/17 Rear
    I will be ridden on the street as well.

2. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Those are the same size as a stock SV. Should be lots of choices, since you say "I will be riding on the street as well" I assume you plan on riding on the track part of the time. It would be helpful to know the percentage of street vs. track in making any sort of suggestion. Also will it be track days or racing?

3. redciv1

Thanks for the response. I would say maybe 60/40 track/street. I know the Katana is heavier than the SV. I guess I am trying to figure out whether to buy spare wheels and mount track/race on one set and street on another.

4. kan3

kan3 Well-Known Member

Plenty of people on SV have no problem using something like a PP with track/street miles. If you were going to buy another set of rims and do quite a few track days a year...I'd invest in a set of rains.

5. onefastgs500

onefastgs500 Well-Known Member

you really need a 110 front and a 150 rear stock wheels are 3inch frt and 3.5 inch rear same as a gs500

6. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

Yup. The later ('97+) Katana wheel is a 4.5" (much better for the 160 tire) and a straight swap (at least on the 750).
    A 120 on the front was no problem.

7. onefastgs500

you can fit the 120 but it pinches on the rim and squirms when healed over in the turns i've done it .

8. redciv1

Oh ok, that makes since. I saw on Katriders.com and the OP may have had a 98. Cool. Any brands to look for. I will definitely think about the rain tires.
    Kan3:What is PP

9. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

PP should = Pilot Power

10. onefastgs500

+1 on the michelins-however brigdestones are cheaper and stickboy gives good track support:up:

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I ran my 95" Kat at Putnam with a 120/70-17 front and a 160/60-17 rear. I ran a set of Michilin Power Race take off's. I got them from a guy on here for $125. He had been racing SV's. After I ran at the track that weekend I rode them on the street for like 2 months. I had stock wheels on the bike. It handled better than it ever did with those on it.

That is my 2cents...coming from a guy who road the shit out of an old Kat.

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I can get you some Bt016's that will do well on track and street. Plus they live forever. $291/set

13. redciv1

That's a good price Stickyboy.

14. stickboy274

I try to take care of my people. If you come to one of the trackdays, or races I'm covering, let me know. You can bring your rims over and get them mounted at no charge.

I usually have them in the trailer, but I can throw a set in for sure if I know you need them mounted up.

15. redciv1

Very nice Sticky. I will be doing trackdays first and then go for license. Hope to race at Cycle Jam in June.

16. stickboy274

Kewl. I cna get you set up.

See you at the track