1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Selections

Discussion in 'General' started by RANDALL WORKMAN, Feb 25, 2021.

1. RANDALL WORKMAN

RANDALL WORKMAN Well-Known Member

All,

I am getting a bunch of great information on racing tires for my Ninja 400 but I need more help !

I am an expert with WERA and CCS and this will be my first season on the 400 and I have been told to run all the brands and different sizes, obviously I would like to run slicks but it is not a deal breaker.

What does everyone know about Michelins 1. do they have a 110/140 slicks ? 2 should I stay at that size or could I use the stones and bump up to the 120/165 ?

Lastly I am in the north east region and have seen all the vendors here so I know that is not an issue

2. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Ive ridden on Pirelli, and Dunlop slicks on the little bikes, also Michelin and Bridgestone DOTs, not slicks. To be honest, I cant tell much of a difference. The Michelin DOTs are great when they are new, but they are a dual compound. On my bike, they wore funny, and I went through rears faster than any of the other brands. The Dunlop slicks have a pretty stiff carcass compared to the others. The Bridgestone DOTs worked The best if you have to ride on a wet track thats not wet enough for rain tires. On a dry sunny day, I think I preferred the Pirellis. They will slide just a little bit, but never completely let go. This is all just my opinion, and I agree with what you’ve been told, try em all yourself, and see what best suits your riding style.

3. In bitches.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Here's your slick choices
    Pirelli 110/70R17 Diablo SBK
    D 110/70R17 KR448
    Pirelli 140/70R17 Diablo SBK
    D 140/70R17 KR451

Here's your rain choices
    Pirelli 110/70R17 Diablo Rain
    D 110/70R17 KR189
    BStone 110/590-17 W01
    Pirelli 140/70R17 Diablo Rain
    D 140/65R17 KR389
    BStone 140/620-17 W01

Here's your DOT Trackday choices
    Pirelli 110/70ZR17 (54W) Supercorsa TD
    D 110/70ZR17 (54W) Q3+
    Mich 110/70ZR17 (54W) Pwr Cup Evo
    Pirelli 140/70ZR17 (66W) Supercorsa TD
    D 150/60ZR17 (66W) Q3+
    Mich 140/70ZR17 66W Pwr Cup Evo

Here's your Race compound DOT choices
    Pirelli 110/70ZR17 54W Supercorsa
    BStone 110/70R17 54H R11
    Pirelli 140/70ZR17 66W Supercorsa
    BStone 140/70R17 66H R11
    Pirelli has discontinued the race compound DOT tires but there may be some out there.

In regards to a 120 front or 160-165 on the stock rims you will find that they are too wide and the tire profile gets all wonky. And performance wise there's is no advantage. Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    2blueYam and JustAnotherSquid like this.
  5. JustAnotherSquid

JustAnotherSquid Used to ride a motorcycle

Dunlop just released a 140/70-17 Q3+ rear btw.

6. Sportbike Tire Service

Sportbike Tire Service Active Member

Michelin makes the Power Cup EVO tire in the sizes 110/70-17, 120/70-17, 140/70-17, and 150/60-17. The Michelin Power Cup EVO has ACT technology and comes in one compound, which adapts to the track temperature to offer the very best performance possible. They are extremely versitale and can used for trackdays and competitive racing. There are many different configurations you can use regarding the sizes, to which I prefer the 110/150 combo. I like the lower center of gravity and the wider rear tire. Give Sportbike Tire Service a call at 734-210-8859. Thanks

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

Pirelli still have the DOT race tire on their website, what gives?

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

There are a limited amount of tires in stock so...

9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

We run Conti slick front with a RaceAttack DOT race Medium 160 rear on the endurance bike.
    It set the fastest lap of the race during one of the 6HRs and the lap times are always up there with the top teams.
    That fastest lap was 30 minutes from the end of the race and the tires still look like they could do another 6 hours.

Conti has a great contingency program too.

AMPracecraft.com for Conti Race Tires

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You gonna move up to the powah of a 400 when your back is better?

Watch out you dont go over the high side...respect the powah....

11. RANDALL WORKMAN

RANDALL WORKMAN Well-Known Member

All great feedback ! now I got a lot to think about I thank you all and look forward to racing with you this season

12. I’ve thought about it, and maybe just for the fun of it. But through all of this I haven’t lost any weight (I didn’t want to, and haven’t tried to).

Hell I even had a jug of protein powder delivered to the rehabilitation hospital and they let me put it in my oatmeal in the mornings, and would make me a smoothie with it at night. :D Those nurses were awesome.

Was just at the PM clinic yesterday and got 8 injections in my spine (one on each side of L1-L4). I still weigh 218lbs.

So it would be fun, but the smaller the bikes/HP get, the more body weight becomes a factor.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Professional curiosity. At what race track in what series does a LW bike (I'm assuming?) with a medium compound rear (from any brand) with 5 1/2 hours on it set the fastest lap of an endurance race?

Full disclosure; I know nothing about Continental tires. I don't think I've ever even seen one and I've been doing the tire thing for a minute. I think the last few times I've been to Jennings, the Dunlop sign is now a Continental sign, but I still don't think I've seen an actual tire so I have no idea what they're like.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  15. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Hallett with the CMRA on a Ninja 400

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The OP Randall Workman mentioned that he was in the north east and was a CCS & WERA racer so is Conti offering a contingency for these race orgs?

17. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm about 10 lbs more than that and I've been racing a 400. You're right about the weight disadvantage, but they're still a blast to race. No way I'll ever be able to keep up with the MotoAmerica Jr Cup kids, some of whom I have to race all the time in club racing, but I'm competitive with the top adults at least in those classes lol We grownups have our own races going on usually about 30+ seconds behind the 14-16 year olds :D

lopitt85 likes this.
  18. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

I have a track-prepped Ninja 400. It's new to me and a blast to ride. I'm running Pirelli DOT trackday tires (SC3 compound) in 110/70/R17 and 140/70R17

My quick question is: Why is the 110 and 140 preferred over, say, the 120 and 150 (or larger)? I get it that the 110/140 combo is more agile. But, my street-riding friends on their Ninja 400s think those bikes need bigger tires. I'm basically looking for the reason(s) why the 110/140 combo is recommended. And is that the recommendation for both track and street?

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That's what size the rims are. The larger tires have distorted profiles on those rims.

Street guys have all the go fast tips.

badmoon692008 and tempestm like this.