1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire pressure gauge

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ZimZam, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

Any recs on a gauge that can be calibrated?

2. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Motion pro. If it’s off send it back they recalibrate it. I’ve never heard of many being off unless someone drops it etc

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if my Longacre can be calibrated or not, but it is guaranteed to be accurate to one half of one percent. At 30 psi, the midrange of my 0-60 gauge, that would be .15 psi. I had it tested after I bought it and it lives up to the claimed accuracy.

400kg likes this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I care more about consistency than accuracy. As long as you know the difference between your gauge and a baseline, then you can adjust your pressure in increments. As long as you use the same gauge you will get consistent results.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

As Deitrich, from the Barney Miller Television show once said......"Hey, no reason you can't have both"!

busa99 and pscook like this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I paid extra for a Longacre Digital thats calibrate-able. Ive never needed to calibrate it after 5years. They don't even sell the one I have anymore, only the non-calibrate-able one. I bet its because no one ever used that feature.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

There are many companies out there that will rebuild/recalibrate/verify any type of gauge used in the manufacturing or engineering business. In fact companies (like Pirelli) that are certified to ISO standards have to these companies come in to check and verify their gauges all the time. So just google engineering testing or something like that and you will probably find one nearby.

Hope this helps
    Jeff

8. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

While true, in most cases, that would greatly exceed the cost of most of the gauges people tend to bring to the track.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

OK then I haven't researched gauge recalibration pricing in many years so the best thing to do is test against a known gauge. I was lucky to have the R&D depts. certified gauge to use for mine. Or buy a new high quality gauge every two to three years?

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Where I work they have a machine that costs well over $50K and is certified yearly for accuracy. The air pressure can be adjusted all the way down to 1/1000th psi . My Longacre was within the 1/2 of one percent in two psi increments up to 60 psi.....that's good enough for a town this size!

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty dead on balls accurate! I just bought a longacre. Hope it works as well

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

at most events the tire vendors usually have a calibrated source to check your guage at.
    Otherwise you could build a simple device with some hose and water if you have access to a 30+ meter tall building...lol
    • 10m - 14.2 PSI
    • 20m - 28.4 PSI
    • 25m - 35.5 PSI

pscook likes this.
  13. jesse v

jesse v Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the recommendations here about Longacre. I’ve been looking for a new gauge.

Anyone have experience with Pit Posse gauges? Asking because I happen to have easy access to their products. The digital one looks nice at $50, but I’m unsure of their manufacturing processes (employing the lowest bidder, etc.).

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

TLR67 and TurboBlew like this.
  15. I used a motion pro digital in the shop every day for over 3 years, plus track use and every time I referenced it against the track side tire guys it was extremely accurate. I would happily buy another.

ZimZam likes this.
  16. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

The Intercomp digital I have doesn't suck. Spot on. Some of the others mentioned are good, as well.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

if youre on a tight budget...spend $25 on a pair of angled valve stems and $5 on 2 pencil stick gauges.
    Those tend to be very accurate for the moola.

No Brakes likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

20. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

Many Thank You's, gang.:rock: