1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire ? for insurance & lawyer

Discussion in 'General' started by Past Glory, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I am curious about the "darkside" (automotive tire on large cruiser and touring type motorcycles) issue. There are always discussions on this across various m/c forums and I have questions on two fronts.
    First for insurance. In the foreseeable future, do you see an adjuster denying payment of a claim, of the company itself fighting payment because of an automotive tire being used on a bike? If so, how strong would their position be?
    Second for lawyers. In the foreseeable future, do you see someone bringing (and prevailing in) a lawsuit against an automotive tire user if they were involved in an accident together?
    Every motorcycle shop I have been associated with, even those I have merely visited, has ever said they would mount an automotive tire on a motorcycle. Whenever I point that fact out to a proponent of auto tire on bike, they respond that it's just fear of frivolous lawsuits and that the only reason motorcycle manufacturers won't endorse it is because it might cost them money in some way.
    My own view on this is that I don't want to ride anywhere near an auto tire user and have stated repeatedly that if it was such a safe proposition, why don't motorcycles come with them from the factory and why will no motorcycle shop touch that job?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

you lost me at a big rig tire on a motorcycle... :eek:

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

i am tired after reading the confusing tire topic

4. Past Glory

Clarified it for you.

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Chances of an adjuster noticing and taking note of a bike with a car tire on the rear are slim to none. What I've often wondered is if we install a car tire on the back of some of these guys Goldwings.. and they eat it and die, will I become liable for installing a non recommended tire? My guess is yes.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. jeffr1ey

well don't install a car tire on a motorcycle, problem solved... if your stupid enough to put a car tire on a motorcycle, then you deserve to be liable for stupidity.. the tire manufacturer shouldn't be liable for some dumbass using a car tire on a motorcycle.

my $.02

8. jeffr1ey

lol.. so retarded.

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Just a wanabe

It blows my mind that the only device between you and the morgue is the tire, yet people still want to go super cheap.

crashman, Pixelator and BigBird like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid: and especially car tires too. Those made in China tires are basically like rolling accidents waiting to happen. I think Car and Driver was doing a tire test and they were like they are so dangerous that it's not worth even testing.

11. Past Glory

You're right there. I've asked a couple of adjusters about it and they both said they've never even heard of anyone doing it.
    No one is saying the tire manufacturer should pay the penalty for it. At least, I'm not saying that.

12. peakpowersports

I took a customers Goldwing for a test ride a few years back and the first corner I about looped the damn thing at maybe 10 degrees of lean.. yup.. car tire. Square sidewalls are not your friend, especially when your not expecting it.

13. Past Glory

Do you think your experienced and informed observation on that subject would change that Goldwing owner's willingness to use that auto tire?

14. peakpowersports

No. I've had discussions with some of them in the past about it, but if they are are sold on the car tire its an uphill battle trying to convince them otherwise. Ultimately its their bike, they can run any tire they want. Wingers are a different bunch. A good chunk of them will go with the "My guy in GWRRA said they are great" or "Most of the guys run them" ect. I will say that the younger wing guys are usually a bit more receptive to discussions regarding things of this nature.

15. Past Glory

I hear you. It's no different here.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Sidecars do it all of the time.and they're technically a motorcycle.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I would want to have them sign a disclaimer.
    Just something saying that you have informed them of the dangers and any bad things that occur as a result of the dumbassery is on them.
    And shit.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is there any sort of DOT rating that specifically states that a tire is only for a car or for a motorcycle? As far as I know there are only load, treadwear, and speed ratings. Obviously a motorcycle tire would never be load rated high enough for a car, but as far as the DOT rating would go, a car tire should be technically okay for motorcycle use. The only exception would be if the crash was speed related and the small car tire was not rated high enough.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

They steer like a car though, and do they really lean to go over the sidewall?

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Shops wont do it because its fucking stupid. I would think it would be tough to prove the tire was the only cause, there is rarely ever just one factor in a crash. For some reason Honda ST riders do this too, even though the proper tire for that bike can last over 10K. I suppose if you only ride interstates it works OK but damn it sure seems like an unnecessary risk to save a few$$.