1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips/tricks for reinstalling valve covers- in frame

Discussion in 'Tech' started by K51000, Dec 20, 2019.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

2005 GSX-R Liter

The valve cover has a grove that the rubber gasket aligns/fits in.
    It is a small deal to get the valve cover back in the frame over the top of the motor, and on first and second attempts, I noticed the gasket fell down out of its groove. I want to do this once, not find it leaking, and re-do again.

I read about putting gasket sealer on the valve cover side, putting on the gasket, then installing.
    The lower-top of the head surface is flat and it won't center the gasket on it if trying to install it with the gasket on the top of the head first. (Not the head gasket, the surface where the valve cover goes.)

So, I dig around in my 'leftover stuff' and find a tube of that Red RTV stuff. It's still soft, and says not to use it on surfaces for gasoline areas- no problem.
    So I put some in the groove on the valve cover, smooth it out, and put the gasket back on it. pushing most of the sealer out with some air bubbles, etc. I then worked awhile and tried to clean out the 'ooze' out stuff while trying to push it in well.

I gotta take a break to pick up my son at his high school.

I'm hoping that later today, I'll attempt the re-install of the valve cover, and it will stay put as I wedge it in the frame, past wire harnesses, tubes to the thermostat thingy in the intake, etc.

Any pointers from those that have done this successfully? The bike has no leaks now, and I don't want to start one.

Tips/ Tricks?
    TIA

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

@HPPT

and I'm bordering on post whore status?!?

:crackup:

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Uhm, take your time and pay attention to what you're doing? Make sure no IH is doing a flyby that could startle you and fug it up?
    :D

K51000 likes this.
  4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

With the 'recall frame brace' on this bike too, right up there it's really hard to see anything if the gasket is still seated where it should be, etc.

Always on the look out for errant tractors- now!

5. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Ok, with that overwhelming response to the question, I went for it.

Having used the RTV it held the gasket in place well.

Hooked most erry'thang back up, and cranked we up.
    I let it get to a warm temp, and looked at the union of the valve cover.

No leaks detected.

Success!

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

That trick works but I typically don't like letting it set up before it's bolted down. Is this a new gasket? A new one should wedge itself in there enough to hold it.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Answer- Gaskacinch

Big T likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

FlexSeal should do