1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips at resorts

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Oct 15, 2019.

1. I know there is already a threat on tips, but that was for meals at restaurants and shit.

When you stay at an all-inclusive resort, where the booking specifically states “all gratuities included”, is there still some kind of unwritten rule or assumption that you will still tip certain things?

We are gonna go to Cancun for a while, and the information page specifically said “Once you are here, everything is included. All food, drinks, amenities gratuities, events, etc are all included in the reservation. No wristband required”.

Then in the listing where it shows what all is included, it again says gratuities.

I just don’t want to be the asshole that takes that literally, and doesnt tip when it is still expected/assumed.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Give em your old visors.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yes to tipping.

4. Ok, but who/when?

With every drink at the bar?
    The waiter at every meal?
    The driver?
    The baggage handler?
    ?

...and if that is the case, then why does it say (multiple times) that gratuities are included? In one of the paragraphs, they make a point of saying you can relax knowing that you don't need to carry a wallet or purse, or wear a wristband, because everything is included.

5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    Rich people problems.

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yes. Every time we’ve ever gone to an all-inclusive, I bring at least $100 in 1’s and 5’s just to tip. Is it required? Nope. But it sure does get you great service for your time there.

A hefty tip for the bartender in the am gets you priority all day. A nice tip for your cleaning lady gets you extra perks left in your room above & beyond. Etc etc.

Pixelator, BigBird, omatter34 and 3 others like this.
  7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Dude, you spend more on your Grom than some spend on cars. You got it.

Tip everybody.

scottn and BigBird like this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Tip everyone that waits on you no matter the task. It's simple politeness.

9. Thanks, that is the kind of input I was looking for. That's what I was getting at in the OP when I was asking is it still assumed or not.

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

My first trip to Sandals, when I went to tip them for bringing my bags to the room, they said 'thank you, but, you already paid for your vacation, so, I won't accept that'.
    In some cases, people have gotten fired for openly accepting tips.
    But, if you secretly slip a bartender an occasional 5 or 10, they will greatly appreciate it and take care of you
    Waiters, typically no.
    The grounds crew appreciates you hiding a beer for them. I kept the one groundskeeper stocked and he would climb the tree, chop off a coconut, and chop the top off for us a few times a day.
    If you get butler service, definitely tip them as it is expected and allowed.
    Tip the driver to/from the airport if they aren't a resort employee.
    Some also get additional bonus if you mention them on trip advisor.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  11. Its not a matter of having it or not. Ive just never done one of these all-inclusive resort things. And when spending several grand, at a place that specifically states "gratuities included", I assumed that is what it meant. I wasn't going to carry around a money clip in my swimming shorts, or worry about taking a backpack everywhere, or get the wife to take her purse, and shit like that, if I truly didn't need to carry any money.

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Give em the tip, just to see how it feels for them

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Makes sense, thanks.

We are already in Mexico City. They have money exchange at the front desk of the place we are in now, but only to pesos (I can't go get a bunch of $5's). I can always go change a couple hundred $US into 100 pesos notes (which would be about $5 each).

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

As you said, it is included, but....... as others have said slipping the bartender some cash will get you better drinks, someone on staff provides excellent service, give them a tip.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I tipped in pesos when I was in the Yucatan last Xmas. but I dont think it really mattered. I was further south and it seemed like tipping wasn't yet expected. but everyone was awesome and they all got tips.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

In Cancun, it also gets you the local's cocaine hookup vs the stepped on tourist shit.

From what I've heard :D

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

When I went to an all-inclusive in Cancun last year if I remember correctly there was an all gratuities included thing as well. I would still toss the guy a buck for each round or whatever. They appreciate it and what's a dollar here and there.

If you tip your server at Coco Bongo he'll take much better care of you lol

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Should you tip in gringo money or local?

I guess local is easy enough for the locals to spend... but would American $ be more appreciated or less so?

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

In most tourist parts of Mexico, USD and Local spend the same.
    Depending on the state of inflation, USD preferred.

BigBird likes this.