1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

timely quote from mark twain

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by mtiberio, Feb 4, 2004.

1. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

"Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."
    — Mark Twain

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Do you have a reference for that quote? I have a shelf full of Mark Twain books that I've never taken the time to read. I might just read the one you quoted first.

4. Nah, he doesn't have a reference for that quote. He just pulled it off a website somewhere :Poke: :)

It's part of the final paragraph of Chapter 9 in The Mysterious Stranger. It's part of a lengthy commentary on the human race. The commentator is Satan.

5. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

I re-quoted Antonia Zerbisias who used that quote in an article in yesterdays "Toronto Star". you might write him for the source. It may not come from one of his books...

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Interestingly, that quote could be used against either side in the debate concerning the Iraq war.

7. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Agreed 100%, presuming that you mean Bush and saddam.:D :D