1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throttle tube swap help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HOLLYWOODPETE, Jun 3, 2010.

1. HOLLYWOODPETE

HOLLYWOODPETE Well-Known Member

i changed my throttle tube on my 2006 gsxr1000, put a r6 tube on but does not snap back like before also theres a black plastic ring/washer on the r6 tube does that go in the switch housing or out thanks

2. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

I left the black plastic washer out, I also had to remove the small screw that is underneath the throttle housing that holds the return cable in place. Just enough slack for the throttle to snap back, it won't snap back turned full left or right. Motion pro does make extended length cables if your interested.

3. HOLLYWOODPETE

thanks chuggs i wiil try anything at this point did you notice big diff in throttle swap?

4. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I did the R6 swap on my 2007 gsxr 1000 and did not notice a big difference. I can not reach WOT without repositioning my hand. I did not use the black washer or grind any material out of the throttle housing.

I am curious to try the motion pro or yoyodyne quick throttles.

5. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

try backing off the push cable at the adjuster. When the throttle is too hard to turn there is usually too much tension between the push and pull cables.

6. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

I really like my motion pro quickturn throttle . . . cam adjustments are just a quick swap at the track, and the motion pro housing and cables allow for quick adjustment . . . it was a HUGE PITA to change out the throttle cables, but worth it for sure . . just my .02

7. HOLLYWOODPETE

thanks guys for the input :up:

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You can leave the plastic washer inside but you have to trim it down. What's happening is when you close the housing together the washer get's squeezed and bends. That's where the resistance comes from. I trimmed it down and left it in since it reduces the side to side play.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I always put the washer outside the housing to prevent the grip from rubbing against the housing. But, I have never installed an R6 tube on a GSXR, so I may be talking out of my butt. As usual.

10. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

:stupid: Pretty sure that's how it's designed to be installed.

11. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

Like stated above, black plastic washer goes outside of housing to prevent grip from sliding/ grabbing housing.
    Also, did you also move both the adjuster nuts for the pull cable to under the bracket down at the throttle bodies? That gives a little more slack in the cable since the R6 tube is larger diameter. See the pic below...

Attached Files:

12. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

I noticed a big difference compared to the oem gixxer throttle, acceleration picks up a lot quicker and less twist to wot. I might go back to the r1, r6 seems to be too abrupt for my liking or may be I just need to work on my throttle control? :confused:

13. HOLLYWOODPETE

hey Kaley, thanks for the pics and thanks for everybody who took the time to post up great help :bow:

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I've done two of these already, one on my [former] GSXR750 and the other just 2 weeks ago on my GSXR1000. I'm about 1000% positive the cause of the throttle binding when you screw the housing together is the larger cam on the R6 throttle tube (1/6 turn) is binding up against the lower [half] housing. To fix this, you need to take either a dremel or soldering iron to the bottom inside housing to melt/grind enough plastic away til the larger cam clears the housing. The washer you speak of isn't the problem, it can go inside or outside, it's the cam making contact to the lower housing.

The odd thing is on the 750 there was a substantial gap when trying to close the housing, on the 1000 I was actually able to close it but the throttle would NOT snap back. At first I thought it was the cable that needed adjusting and I tried that but with no success, so I loosened up the housing screws and noticed the throttle would snap back no problem. After melting away enough plastic in the lower housing the problem was solved.

I also had to lengthen the upper cable as Kaley suggested above.

Now I have a question for those with full liter bikes and the 1/6 turn tubes.....are you guys happy with the performance?

I found it being a bit too sensitive and harder to be smooth rolling on the power and now find myself questioning whether or not I should go back to the 1/4 turn or give a 1/5 turn (R1) a try instead???

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  15. HOLLYWOODPETE

Well the verdict is out, it was the washer! opened up the housing and moved the washer to the outside of the housing and put it back together and bam it snaps right back. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELP

PETE

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

No shit, that's interesting........what yr R6 throttle tube you using?

17. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

I had the r1 on before as well, not as abrupt/sensitive like u said, more manageable than the r6 for sure.

The newer gen wasp looking r6 throttle tube.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

TY Chugs, might try the 1/5 next.

19. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Just get used to the 1/6. It won't take that long before you're used to it and a normal throttle seems weird.

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea, at this point I don't know what to do.....I did two track days on a brand new set of tires and absolutely shredded them, some of the guys thought the short throw may have been harder, for me, to be smooth hence tearing them up. At this point, I dunno what to think....lol.