1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throttle Hanging.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rowe748, Jun 18, 2010.

1. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

I bought my gf a little yamaha sr250 and ever since we brought it home its had a problem with the rpm not dropping till you blip the throttle a few times (and even after blipping sometimes the rpm still will not drop). I took apart the carb and cleaned everything out but the problem still persists. The throttle cable is working fine so that's not it. I'm not sure what to do next and i'm trying to avoid bringing it into the dealer. Any suggestions?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

air leak.

3. rowe748

it has some small cracks but doesn't look all that bad.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

spray some contact cleaner or ether on the boot while the bike is running. if there's a leak, you'll know. the engine will pick up rpms.

5. rowe748

alright thanks ill try

6. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

You can also spray some non-flamable brake cleaner, it will make the engine slow down or stall..
    In any case the change indicates a leak..

7. rowe748

I feel dumb for not checking sooner but the previous owner had the idle screw jacked up way to high, i'm assuming to cure it from stalling because the carbs were dirty, but the bike runs great now. Thanks for the advice.